WESTERN STATES ZONAL FORUM

 

MEETING RECORD

 

Download this in MS Word Format here.

Download this in .pdf format here.

     July 28, 29, 30, 2006  

  

Participants
Dan F. - Washington Northern Idaho- RDA
Franny J. –Washington Northern Idaho (World Board)
Rueben A. –Southern California-RD
Ken Mason – Southern California- RDA
Jim W. – Rio Grande –RD
Laura B. - Rio Grande- RDA
Denise T. - Pacific Cascade- RD
Tauni M. - Pacific Cascade- RDA
Steve F. – Central California – RD
Richard B. - Central California- RDA
Vince G. – Arizona- RD
Jason S. - Arizona- RDA
Gregory B. – California Mid-State- RD
Danny M. – California Mid-State- RDA
D.W.D – San Diego Imperial – RD
George G. – San Diego Imperial- RDA
Lenny R. – Northern California- RD
Matt M. – Northern California- RDA
Mike M. – California Inland- RD
Gene B. –California Inland- RDA
Karen R. - Sierra Sage- RD
Robin P. – Sierra Sage- RDA
Ron M. - World Board
Steve R. – WSO
George L. – Meeting Facilitator
Paula B. – Recorder

Meeting was opened with a moment of silence
Introduction of facilitator –George L
Introduction of attendees
Approval of previous meeting record                                             
Record approved.
                                                                                                                                                                                

Issue Discussion Topics

Insurance
Relationships with Treatment Centers
Vacant Service Positions
Incorporation
Contractual Liabilities
Function of BOD without RSO
Bird Flu
Common Needs
Merchandize Taxation
Coordination of Major Events
Area Conventions
Website Contents
NAYC Youth Committees
WSZF Scheduling
Consolidation of Regions
Sponsorship Behind the Walls
Regional Inventory
Rural Meetings

NAWS IDT

  1. Building Strong Home groups
  2. Who is missing from Meetings and Why?
  3. Our Service System

 

Southern California Region

They told us that of their 1370 meetings that 151 are Spanish speaking, 4 are Armenian, 3 are Farsi, 1 is Hebrew and 3 are American Sign Language.
They are encouraging GSR’s and RCM’s to attend the World Service Conference and be apart of what happens. The Southern California Regional reported that the RD and the RDA have been traveling to various areas in their region answering   
questions and introducing themselves. They have covered 16 to 20 areas in their region in what they call a Regional Tour. They brought a proposal to host WSZF in 2007.
Regional Service Office
The RSO is maintaining itself. They have fallen below their prudent reserve and are working on new marketing strategies to bring sales up. They currently have a full board. The RSO carries insurance for 20 areas as well as events.
Hospitals & Institutions
All 20 areas including Spanish speaking area attend H&I subcommittee meeting. The Region carries 57 Regional panels into different H&I facilities. The 19 areas including the Spanish speaking area carry approximately 618 panels. The subcommittee holds annual H&I Learning Day in May.
Public Information
Is carrying presentation into the schools. The Website committee is working on guidelines to become a standing Regional subcommittee. One issue that has come up –Anonymity on the website. 85% accuracy on meeting information on the website. 14 of the 20 areas have their own website. They are going to work with NAWS and take a look at their database so they can function together in updating meeting information.
Regional Activities
They put on 3 major events a year- The NA birthday, New Years Eve and the Regional Campout. They help with the H&I Learning Day and Regional Assembly Workshops. They provide a Regional Calendar so that all areas have Regional dates so that no area event conflicts with another area event. All area and regional events are posted on the website.
Phone lines
They are running 24 hour 7 day 800 number with live addicts to speak to. 7 areas participating. The Spanish speaking area is helping ma the Spanish speaking helpline.
Literature
No Literature Review- lack of participation.
Regional Convention
It will be held over Thanksgiving weekend at Ontario Convention Center. They had a great convention last year and made a great donation to the region.
Cruise Committee
They will be having a 7 day cruise in October to the Mexican Rivera.
Spring Gathering
They didn’t have a very successful event again this year and were unable to make a regional donation. This small but active committee shows how diverse our region is.

Washington Northern Idaho

They have 20 areas with approximately 800 meetings within 74,000 square miles that include Washington State, Northern Idaho and a bit of north eastern Oregon.
This was the third time they held the post conference workshop at their annual convention. This has been a successful way to communicate information, it will continue. Over 100 attended post conference workshop.
They were grateful to have Ron H in attendance and his willingness to come on such short notice.
Their RD has implemented a quarterly report to the region. The Report summarizes NAWS News, NA Way Magazine, World Board reports and Western States Zonal Forum. The purpose is to increase communication in all levels of service to the groups. It is a one page report that is distributed to all groups.
They have held Issue Discussion Workshops and have forwarded that information to NAWS. Several areas have initiated work groups to review/input the proposed PR Handbook.
The only issue we have is a resistance to move away from CAR workshops and use the regional assembly as a communication mechanism.
Western Service Learning Days will be in Seattle,Washington November 3-5, 2006
Flyer- http://www.wsld.org/wsld20

 

Rio Grande Region

This Region is comprised of 8 areas that go from southern Colorado to Juarez, Mexico and the state of New Mexico from its east to its west borders. 200 meetings each week some are Spanish speaking.
Their Region uses Resource Coordinators for PI, H&I and Activities. We have never been successful in with keeping these positions filled or functional. This may be due to lack of definitions of positions, communication difficulties and/or the challenges of serving a very large geographical area. They have a Regional Convention Corporation, accountable to the region. They have a bilingual international region. They continue to experience challenges with translations and access to cross international borders for their members. At their last convention in Las Cruses, NM they had real time translation services on headsets for both the English and Spanish Main speaker meetings. It was put into their Convention Handbook that the Convention Committee will have a Translation Subcommittee and that all main speaker meetings will be translated. Workshops will be offered in both Spanish and English with onsite translators from the local fellowship.
 A new area was formed this year called Area Bosque. It serves the mostly the outer lying communities south the city of Albuquerque also the Spanish speaking groups. It was a difficult transition. The split was born out a belief the existing area failed to serve the Spanish speaking members. The new area has an RCM and has created a H&I, PI and activities sub committee. Both the areas were affected when the new subcommittees were created and the resources were split. Ultimately and painfully the decision was made to share services. Both the areas continue to work for their mutual benefit striving to keep our Primary Purpose. The Region has supported the New Bosque area with Basic Texts in both Spanish and English. This fall the RD and the RDA will be conducting Basic Text Project workshops in both the northern and southern parts of the region and in the winter a combined Workshop to bring together all areas. They will also be having roundtable discussions on The New Discussion topics from this WSZF.

 

Pacific Cascades Region

Their region covers all of western Oregon, most of central eastern Oregon, a small part of northern California and little pockets on southern Washington. Their areas range in size from 7-10 meetings a week to 300 meetings a week.

The Portland area is still having growing pains. They think that one new area split off and that the rest of Portland is working on becoming a metro. Their RSC meets quarterly and rotates around the region. Areas host the one day event. Our region holds a winter and summer assembly each year. They have the assembly on Saturday and the RSC on Sunday.
They held an assemble 2 weeks ago in Bend. They introduced the Issue Discussion Topic to the attendees in a small group discussion session. They also successfully utilized the presentations so graciously provided to us by NAWS. Several areas requested a copy of the Meeting Count presentation. At all of their assemblies they use a feedback form that is very helpful in making any changes to the format. There were many comments on the inexperience of the computer operator in coordinating his equipment.
They also had a “You Pick the Topic” small group discussion. They handed out post-its and everyone put up their favorite issue to discuss. The RD team gathers this information and presents the most popular topics to the group. This continues
to be the favorite part of the assembly.
Their region will be hosting the PNW#29 in October 2006 in Eugene, Oregon. There will be a “Golf Event” to raise funds for the PNW (Flyers available).
They recently passed their website guidelines. There was some controversy around areas providing links to AA and treatment centers. Their Regional website is www.pcrna.org.
Their region was recently without insurance due to a mail mix up, however now they have a much better insurance company with lower rates. The policy covers all regional events at this time and they are researching covering all the areas, too.
The RD introduced her new RDA Tauni M from Grants Pass.

 

Arizona Region

Their report will show that Arizona is alive and growing. This Region consists of 13 areas with a new area called the “The South Central Area” providing services to the Florence/Casa area of the state. They currently have 350 meetings a week.
ARCNAXX
They held their 20 Regional Convention in Phoenix this year. The last time ARCNA was in Phoenix was ARCNAII; the theme “Two Decades, One Promise”.
It was a very successful convention with approximately 800 registered attendees and over 1200 non-registered. They do not have exact figures but the CFO says it is around $20,000.00. It was a truly wonderful experience. Next Convention will be ARCNAXXl at The Doubletree Hotel at Reid Park.445 S. Alvernon Way Tucson, AZ    May 25-27, 2007
H&I
Currently 63 panels are being taken in to institutions across their region including 4 Federal Bureau of Prison Facilities. These panels are provided by 115 H&I members. Many more jails and prisons around the state have requested panels but there are not enough volunteers.
Literature Review
No Literature review
Insurance
$2,672.00 annually and that includes Director’s Indemnity Coverage
Public Information
They will have a booth at “The Art of Recovery” which is a part of the US Department of Health and Human Services Recovery Month celebration. It is a nation wide traveling event. Look for it in your area. September is National Recovery Month.
Helpine
Throughout their region various technologies are used to provide Helpline services.
From a complex Tri-area helpline computer system to a cell phone being passed from one addict to another. Their new Phone line Chair and the RD are researching a web based system to avoid the hardware/ software cost of an in house computer system. One area does not have a phone line and only has member’s numbers on meeting list. The Helpline is answered 24/7 365 days a year has approximately 130 volunteers.
12th Annual Blues Festival
October 29th, 2006 Hosted by East Valley Area, Kiwanis Park, All -American Way
Tempe, AZ

San Diego Imperial Region

They have 400 meeting within their region weekly, some doing strong NA services some struggling to survive. Successes to report: Our website www.sandiegona.org
Is more modest manageable and supports the region by having a meeting directory
With the ability to be regularly updated. They have a 12 step sign up list, Phone
Line shift hours and available shift contacts, Convention news, Regional and area
Activities updates, Links to NAWS, Cleantime calculator, contact person email within the region, a more modest budget with greater fellowship support and respect, some truly dedicated trusted servant operating the website.
They are working on a Regional RSC Inventory. They are asking all trusted servants of the RSC and their subcommittees to participate in the inventory. It was created by 8+ addicts meeting 3 times; gathering data from a variety of fellowship sources and a little fine tuning….. He has copies available. Many positions go unfulfilled hence the purpose of the RSC Inventory. RSC Subcommittees and board; PI, H&I, Policy, Activities, Phone lines, Theatrical, Lit Review, Convention, Outreach, RSO CEO, Board of trustees, Website.
Convention news
Convention was held Memorial Day Weekend. Some great fun but also trouble with the younger members of our fellowship staining our name. Security issues continue to plague us. What can be done? They make it difficult for us to be welcomed back the next year, each year struggling to find new location.
They want to have an event where attendees have to be 18 or older? Causing controversy..cons we are violating the 3rd and 5th traditions. They want to know what you think?
Spanish speaking Meetings
They had some success and support with SEBENA area. There were several Spanish speaking meetings going to the ASC. At this time no new info. They provided outreach material gathered at WSC from LA region, phone line cards,
New York Spanish Regional Guidelines and they distributed them throughout the region.
Courtslips
There is a large influx of courtslip babies at their meetings right now. Groups do not hold addicts hostage to court slips. Sign them and return to the wisdom of the day.
Post Conference Assembly
Conference Assembly will be held August 26, 2006. They knew this is late, but it couldn’t be helped.

As RD and RDA we attend regional ASC’s regularly. Some ASC’s are strong and others continue to lose 7th Tradition funds foolishly.
 
 

  Northern California Region

They have 20 Areas and approximately 1400 meetings. The RCM meets monthly at the RSO in Fairfield, California, consisting of the RCM’s, H&I, PI, NCCNA (Convention) and an RSO Board (an incorporated entity).
All of their areas have functioning PI, H&I, Phone lines, monthly ASC’s, and Activities Committees. Some of their rural Areas have work to do and too few addicts to do it.
The Regional Web page is www.norcalna.org. They are in the process of redesigning their website. A Working Group (the RSC, PI, and NCCNA) was formed by the RSO Board of Directors to work with an outside vendor on the design and implementation of the site. The Website will make more information available to the fellowship; they are in discussion now over what that information will be. They will add 2 online shopping carts-one for RSO and one for the Convention Committee.
The RSO Board meets monthly at the RSO. The RSO supplies insurance for all the meetings in the Region and is paid for by the RSC.The RSO has 2 special workers one is full time employee. The struggling RSO is back on financial track this year. The RSC subsidizes the RSO $1000.00 per month to ensure stability.
Their 28th Annual Convention was held in San Jose this year. It was a success both spiritually and financially. First time 4,000 people were registered, due to online convention and hotel registration. Saturday Speakers Meeting had 8,000 addicts attending.
RSC completed an extensive updating of their Regional Guidelines. They now believe that their guidelines reflect the way business is being done at the RSC.
Preliminary talks about restructuring of regional H&I subcommittee have begun.
Although the successful restructuring of PI from a subcommittee to a sharing forum has happened there is resistance from H&I members to this happening with H&I.
The RD and RDA held 5 CAR Assemblies in 2006, with an average attendance of 40 addicts. They will be rethinking this process in 2008 to bring attendance up.
They continue to participate in the 12 Step Advisory Board; a committee facilitated by the California Department of Corrections and rehabilitations.Some of the issues under discussion are state wide clearance for 12 Step Meetings, literature distribution, and better 12 Step orientation of inmates and CDCR staff.

 

California Inland Region

They have 4 Areas, The Lower Desert Area, The Greater Mojave Area, The Southwest Area, and The Mountain Area. They have 183 meetings weekly.
They have a Regional meeting first Sunday of each month at the RSO in Banning, California at 1:00pm. In January 2007 they will have a Regional Learning Day, which will be used to go over the CAR on conference years and used for Issue Discussion Topics and other service related items on off cycle years. They hope that the event will grow into a Regional assembly over time. Instead of H&I, PI, and Outreach committees they have Regional Resourse Officers, who are a link between areas and hopefully a resource for questions that an area may have. Their area H&I subcommittees are active and strong. Areas are participating in Health Fairs, County Fairs and Public Information Booths. Their Region is making insurance available to all meetings if needed. Some meetings are finding that they can’t get meeting site without it.
Their Regional Convention happens the first weekend in July. The Hotel decided to shut down for remodeling at the last minute we had to cancel 2006 Convention and they are looking for a 2007 venue. The Convention was a major fund raiser It hurt them financially but because they put money aside for just such an occurrence They will be OK if they manage things frugally.
They are thinking about and looking for feedback about incorporation for either their Convention or their Region.

Sierra Sage Region

Their Region has 102 meetings in 5 Areas; 4 of which regularly attend RSC.RSC rotates Quarterly from Reno, Carson City/Minden, South Lake Tahoe, to North Lake Tahoe areas. The borders of their Region go from Oregon/Idaho border to the North, East to the Utah border, south to Tonopah and its latitude, and west to the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They now have an active Outreach Coordinator who has made many contacts in their outlying areas, especially Winnemucca, Battle Mountain and Elko. That Outreach coordinator is the New RDA. So The RD and The RDA will be a team outreach until they can find a new coordinator to fill the position. They have a difficult time filling position in their region. They have no Regional Chair right now. The local ASC Chair is acting Regional Chair right now for what ever area they rotate to. They felt it would give the local areas an opportunity to see other levels of service. The RCM’s agreed. They recently got a  
very enthusiastic PI Coordinator. They have high hopes about him. No H&I Coordinator at this time.
The RSO Board meets quarterly prior to the RSC meeting. They chose this schedule to offer members the opportunity to find out more about the RSO and what it does. RSO pays area phone line bills, filing taxes with the IRS, Yearly regional insurance, Yearly Gratitude Dinner, and Oversees Annual Sierra Sage Convention. They have written an “Assumption of Risk” Form for Campouts and other events.
They have a website at www.sierrasagena.org – it is full of information, including an Activities Calendar, Convention info, phone line numbers, printable meeting schedule, and a Cleantime Calculator. They have a great Web Servant the only problem is getting the local addicts to use it. It is full of great information.
Their most recent issue is Phone lines. Due to the vastness of their region, area helplines are trying to find solutions to the long distance dilemma and the very high cost. Recently the Reno Area has changed to an 800 system that forwards to a sbc number. Addicts can call either the 800 number or the local number and receive meeting info, Activities information or talk to a live addict. They just did this so more will be revealed. Carson City/Minden has many areas included that are quite far from those cities. They feel disenfranchised. They have to call long distances to reach those areas helplines. There is talk about starting another area helpline for those areas or researching other alternatives.
Karen and Robin are planning to travel to as many ASC’s as they can including some of the outlying areas they reported about.
They talked about educating and giving incentive to areas to do the right thing. Not scheduling conflicting events in the name of unity. They also have hope of a new area forming from these outlying areas. They have a Convention that they want to have yearly but unfortunately could not secure a site for 2006. They will have a Convention at Circus Circus in Reno, November 2-4, 2007. They got a block of rooms in the tower and a Hospitality room, Merchandise and Marathon Meetings. They Hope everyone plans to attend Sierra Sage Regional Convention Xll.

 

Central California Region

Central California Region has 5 Areas that include Ventura, Kern, San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties. There are 300 meetings a week, less than 5 are Spanish speaking. They meet on the odd numbered months in the Gold Coast Area office in Ventura, CA. They utilize CBDM, except for elections.
H&I subcommittees are carrying 100 panels per month. The H&I sub chairs meet quarterly and rotate that meeting among the 5 chairs.
Sponsorship behind the walls ad-hoc has grown recently to becoming a standing committee with 2 or 3 current sponsor/sponsee relationships and more to come. They purchase The Basic Text, It Works: How and Why and The Step Working Guide directly from NAWS and have it shipped directly to the inmate. Their guidelines are available through Steve F or Richard B.
The Website www.ccrna.org is running well. They are formulating guidelines; discussing content issues and anonymity concerns. Each Area has there own phone lines subcommittee running well. The 2006 Convention was a huge success.
 
 

 

 

 

 

Topic Discussions

The following is a compilation of the input given by the Zonal Forum Participants on the discussion topic.

Vacant Service Positions

  1. Good reason for inventory, it would narrow down the focus of what we are trying to achieve. We would get better participation.
  2. Service is a basic of recovery, model and mentor. Basic values.
  3. Consolidating committees. Set people up for success instead of failure.
  4. Put creative tasks out to members rather than Service positions.
  5. Atmosphere, infrastructure
  6. Strong Homegroups
  7. Homegroups where we learn positive talk.  Opportunities.
  8. Treasure and revere our Regional service members.
  9. Thank, invite, respect and tell the truth-no railroad.
  10. Personal invitation. Ask one on one.

 

Non –English Speaking Meeting

  1. Translations of guidelines
  2. Spanish Speaking area within English speaking Region.
  3. Assist in whatever they need.
  4. Assistance in their own language with guidelines/ literature.Translations.
  5. ASC in Vancouver/Washington Deaf community uses American Sign Language at ASC.
  6. Ask- How we can help?
  7. Put list together of Spanish speaking members.
  8. Cultural differences/attempt to include bilingual Flyers.
  9. Making them a part of the process.
  10. Spanish speaking PSA’s.
  11. I don’t want to see the Spanish fellowship to be a fellowship apart.
  12. Embrace diversity
  13. Inclusive as opposed to exclusive
  14. Spiritual Principals are the equalizers.

 

  1. Addicts who have a passionate desire to serve.
  2. Be a friend. Ask not tell.

 

 

 

World Board Update since 2006

What has transpired since the conference:

  1. Plan driven Organization and an atmosphere of recovery.
  2. Rebuilding relationships with professionals to insure they’re aware NA is viable and available.
  3. Focus groups of peers coming from World pool.
  4. Get involved in shorter term commitments.
  5. Leadership development at all levels of service.
  6. We are shining Stars.
  7. We need to rethink attitude about the basket. Donations are down- 10% of what it takes to run NA. Group Donations are up but area and regional are down.
  8. Basic Text Project- New preface and new personal stories- 9/06 thru 2/07 –Personal stories approval 2007. The new Spanish Basic Text will have Spanish stories different than those in the English version.
  9. Public Relations Handbook-First Draft fall of 2006, the final version.  New Area Planning tool. Input, feedback.
  10. World Wide Workshop in New Orleans 9/29-10/1, 2006-Primarily Topic Discussions.
  11. $460,000 was given to developing Areas internationally in free  and reduced price Literature by World services over the past year.
  12. World Convention WCNA 32 will be held in San Antonio, TX from 8/29 thru 9/2/2007
  13. Areas are encouraged to observe Unity day September 3, 2006.There is a flyer available www.na.org that goes into detail.
  14. Almost all NA literature can be accessed on line now.
  15. WSO is wanting to fill 2 employment positions at this time: One is in “Shipping and Receiving” and the other “Translation Assistant”

 

  1. There will probably be a World Wide Workshop in the Midwest somewhere.
  2. World services has made a commitment to prompt communication.

NA Youth Committees

  1. NAYC (the one referred to here) sprang up about 10 years ago in Marine County. Young people “grouped up” in service. H&I specifically referred to. Then it morphed into> let’s hold young people events. Then Young people conventions .They want to have standing Regional subcommittee. This year Toronto is having a 10 year Youth Convention.
  2. One area stated the young people would go through a directory in a region looking for “young people meetings” and attend all the meetings presenting the Idea that they all ban together.(Separating out)
  3. There is a distinction between (NAYC) NA youth Committee and young people meetings.
  4. Incorporate them into the fellowship.
  5. Are we reaching them?
  6. Treat young people like equals. Don’t speak down to them.
  7. Make sure they feel apart of.
  8. Identification.

 

        NAWS  IDT Sessions

        Building Strong Home Groups
Question 1: What do you personally see as the difference between a home group, a group and a meeting? Is there a difference in your responsibility or behavior with each of these?

  • entity- group    event-meeting

2) Stable involvement on a deeper level
3) Develop ownership-my home group
4) Family tradition
5) Learn participation become part of
6) Be a giver instead of a taker
  Question 2: What are the benefits of a strong Home Group (to you, to newcomers and to other members)?

  • A chance to see how their Home Group is doing
  • Developing relationships
  • Gives a person a sense of unity and belonging
  • Making newcomers feel welcome; attentive to newcomer’s needs
  • Consistency-clear NA message
  • Basis for building social life in recovery
  • Grounds me –less rambling

Question 3: In what ways do strong home groups contribute to our common welfare?

  • Traditions oriented- learning
  • Support outside of the meeting. Homey’s call you or you call them when you go AWOL
  • They remind me of my primary purpose. I have a disease that tells me I don’t have a disease.
  • Nobody asked me to do anything before I came to the fellowship. They gave me a job, made me feel apart of.
  • As the GSR I show up at ASC, new service level. I see Homeys at other meetings feels good.
  • Foundation- strong foundation.
  • WE try to think of NA as a whole. Hugs and caring regardless of age, race, sexual identity.

 

 

 Question 4: How does participation in Home groups help you to be of service in NA? How do home groups provide and encourage a foundation of for leadership?
      A.
         1) Having a position shows how to show up and commitment
         2) Introduce themselves as members
         3) Participation
         4) Counting on another member’s responsibility.
         5) An empathy and compassion for others. A sense of community.
         6) Accountability
         7) Not unique-feel a part of.
         8) Communication; Obligation
         9) Had a job; felt important
  B.
         1) Encourage participation; newcomers also
         2) Made to feel welcome
         3) Learn to disagree
         4) Safety to teach and learn
         5) Participate at group level business
         6) Round table discussion
         7) Family Feel
         8) Learn to speak up
         9) People care whether you are there or not
        10) No condemnation
         Question 5: How do we build strong home groups and what do we need to do to encourage members to join a home group?

  • Creative Freedom (format type); sharing importance.
  • Home group carries outside of group and socialization.
  • Strong format
  • Group inventory!!
  • Make newcomers feel welcome and important
  • Feed the spark to newcomers
  • Celebrate birthday anniversaries; no Cliques! Keep adding to support

       
Question 6: What are things you can do to keep meetings open, attractive and welcoming? Does your group welcome this responsibility? If so, How?

  • Spirit of Unity
  • Be responsible –Pay rent, clean up
  • Be welcoming-greeters- member with clean time.
  • Ask if there is anything the group can do better- ask new members
  • Watch how I carry myself- remember to reach out smile.
  • Maintain responsible liaison with meeting facility
  • Signage
  • Inform members of ways we have lost facilities in the past
  • Give newcomers literature; Buy Basic Text for newcomer on your birthday
  • Choose an experienced member to lead group and mentor.

  Question 7: How does the spiritual principle of “You have to give it away to     keep it” apply to your personal contributions?

  • Must give a lot of service hours
  • Put in proportional money based on income
  • Ask for help or invite others to do tasks or service work
  • Be a good example for giving
  • Contribute much because we have gotten much
  • Create discussion group via email
  • Encourage participation in service
  • Email GSR report to home group members
  • Show up and participate
  • Put in money= years clean on birthday
  • Sponsorship- honesty, spiritual principles
  • Show benefits of living by spiritual principles
  • THANK those that serve
  • Give what I want to get
  • Learn to give without expectation

      
Who is missing from our meetings and Why?

         Before we went into this question we did a experiment in human conditioning that was geared to make us think…. In or out?

       We all counted off according to tables of six we were seated at. We all broke down into two groups according to what numbers we were. The “In” group and the “out” group.
                The “in” group was asked, “What does it mean to be “In”?”

 

                IN #1 What does it mean to be “IN”?

  • Being a part of; feeling good about myself
  • Welcomed, enfranchised
  • Included
  • Popular, humorous, gregarious, attractive, only speak when they have something valuable to contribute.
  • Feeling included-a part of; In the words of the Mammas and the Papas “In with the in crowd”.
  • Acceptable, worthwhile.
  • The acceptable standard made by the majority
  • To feel hope, to want to keep coming back.
  • To be a part of.
  • A part of
  • You’re not out
  • It feels like I’m not alone anymore
  • If I’m in than I’m not out. I always felt that I was out and not a part of anything. So it means that I’m somebody. It gives you value to be in.
  • Safe, part of
  • Having purpose
  • That there are those who are out
  • Acceptance, belonging; some arrogance and morel superiority balanced by survivor’s guilt.
  • A. Regular attendees at (area?)

B. Recognition when you arrive.
C. Participate by having trusted servant’s position if there is a need.
D. Pass on information about outside NA events that members might be interested in
E. Take responsibility to introduce self and make new people to the group feel welcome

  • Included!

IN #2 How do you feel toward those who are “OUT”?

  • Sorry for them
  • I’m ready when they are
  • OUT- different- compassion for their “outness”
  • Feel that the group is incomplete; concerned that they feel ostracized from the group

 

  • The desire to share our unity
  • Feel sad for and empathy towards them
  • Empathetic; Angry
  • Empathy, compassion; want to include
  • Unfamiliar, alien
  • I miss them and I want them to be in
  • Apart from
  • Feel disconnected, want to go and get therm.Want them to feel a part of
  • I want them to be in because I know what it is like to be out.
  • That if they want to be “IN” I could help them be “IN”
  • Sorry, drawn towards,; attracted; interested; curious why they have made choices
  • How can I as a “IN” help those who are “OUT” get “IN”
  • Sad
  • WAVE-smile.
  • Different
  • A. Unsure, uneasy about how to reach out to them

     B. Ambivalent
     C. Ask if I would be able to provide a message that they can relate to.
         (In language, cultural terminology they might understand)
      D. Decide if I can submit resources to support (e.g. Spanish meeting)

          IN #3: How can we attract the “Outs” to become “IN”?

  • By making being “IN” look exciting, fun and inviting.
  • Contact them and invite them back, let them know they are needed and important; let them know they are missed.
  • Sharing experience, strength and hope; talking one on one; walk the talk; 12 step call.
  • A. Let them know meetings exist

B. Create special interest groups for certain type of potential members (professionals, Spanish, Native American, gay, etc)
C. Have meetings in facilities accessible to the Handicapped-along public bus route etc; access

  • Empathy; IP’s; Understanding why they are out
  • Invite them over
  • Offer to share and give without condition
  • Show sharing personal; personal invitation; offer help; try to include
  • Open-mindedness; welcoming; gracious

 

  • To miss them
  • By letting them know we are here and they’re welcome
  • Reach out to them
  • Participation
  • Talk to them; show interest in them; encourage them to participate; show admiration for some quality that they possess
  • “I would invite them in”
  • Extend a genuine invitation for them to return
  • More accepting
  • Invitation (PR/PI) explain that we want to include them and ask them what can be done to help them feel included.

 
OUT #1: How does it feel to be “OUT”?

  • Lonesome and scared
  • Angry; Sour grapes; I don’t want to be with those losers
  • Justifies my separateness
  • I am either desperate, lonely, angry and afraid or I am confused and unable to relate (in another fellowship)
  • I have a desire to unite us. So does that make the in people “them”?
  • Indifferent. Not care.

 

OUT #2: How do you feel about those that are “IN”?

  • Antagonistic. “They’re not cool.”
  • Envious
  • Don’t know about the “IN’s”; misinformed about the “IN’s”.(“They don’t recover in NA”)
  • They have us outnumbered
  • A bit resentful
  • Feel sorry for them

Out #3: What might attract you to be one of the “IN’s”?

  • If they showed some compassion and asked me to join.
  • A personal invitation
  • Hugs, disease concept, sense of purpose
  • An invitation or maybe cookies.
  • Seeing them as loving and welcoming
  • Not Much!

 

Who is missing from our meetings and why?
               
Question 8: Does you group identify who is missing from your meetings and discuss its responsibility to carry the message?

  • Through group inventory
  • Invite to business meeting and ask for their thoughts
  • Suggestion box in group format
  • Announce day/time of business meeting
  • Discuss at ASC
  • One on one interaction
  • Bring in speakers who reflect diversity
  • Support member diversity (Such as language)
  • Don’t make assumptions

  
         Question9: How can groups help keep both newcomers and experienced                   members fully participating in meetings and engaged in the NA program?
                   

  • Ask them.
  • More “fellowshipping” after the meeting
  • Balance fun and structure
  • Make them feel important somehow
  • Assign a newcomer to an old-timer
  • Use an old-timer as an experienced resource
  • Let them know that they are needed
  • Give them a job
  • Remind the old-timers of the need to be flexible

10) Invite them back

Question 10: What actions can be taken to ensure the member sand potential members know that our meetings exist? How can we improve these efforts?

  • Groups can send representatives to subcommittees
  • PI effort in languages that are represented locally
  • Giving meeting lists to campus cops
  • PR efforts to judges, including announcing any professional meetings
  • Announcing the need at any other meeting
  • Newspaper adds/ calendars
  • Meeting and literature lists to social service folks
  • One on one; not being secretive
  • Area Learning Days
  • Poster Hanging Days
  • Invite professionals to our Learning Days
  • Meeting and literatures lists to Police Stations

Question11: How can groups and Areas work together to helping these efforts? How can local service efforts be targeted to reach those missing from our meetings?

  • If groups visit them and invite them to ASC
  • ASC became a resource for groups beyond just literature.
  • Discussion Forums
  • Develop and utilize multi-language PI tools
  • Consider cultural barriers
  • Non religious-NOT anti religion
  • Talk about our positive growth and change
  • Be sure we have the resources needed before we commit to doing things

  Our Service System

            Question #13: How can our current service system better allow for new ideas and creative approaches? In what ways can we improve relationships and communication with other service bodies (Committee to committee, area to area, area to region, region to area, zone or world services, etc)?

  • Foster and atmosphere of respect
    • Open-mindedness
    • Encourage new ideas
  • Assign a liaison
  • Offer support (If you want us, we’re there.)
  • Modeling personal principles
  • Make each other feel important

Question#14: What some ways we can evaluate our service work? What value is there on following up on these efforts? How can we improve our follow-up efforts?

  • Brainstorming effort
    • Ask if we are meeting need in and out of NA
    • Regular inventory
  • Growth, implementing, streamlining, promotes unity, accountability
  • Lessen fear, build trust
  • Improve by regular maintenance/ updates
  • Inventory timelines for implementation
  • Foster culture of courtesy, respect and participation

 
   Question#15: What aspects of the system may need changing? What steps can be taken to help build a more productive and responsive service structure?

  • Level of enthusiasm
    • Better communication
    • Match task to talent

                    B) Have clearly defined positions

  • Mentorship/ training trainers
  • Participate in the World Wide Service structure, then communicate and share info

 
  Question #16: Who is missing from our service structure? How can we better cultivate, support and encourage leadership within the service structure? How can we help to get people the information, tools and support they need to be successful n their service efforts?

  • Knowledgeable and competent people
    • Mandated participants
    • Old timers
    • Fresh blood
  • Mentoring and mentos
  • Attract; make it sound like fun!
  • Fulfill commitment
  • Workshops, Learning Days and multimedia presentations
  • Newsletters(letter from the Delegate Team)
  • Traveling Delegate Team
  • Ask what they need!
  • Give examples of what we can provide or do
  • Communicate! Communicate! Communicate!

Question# 17: How can NA communities expand their resources (members, tools, and finances) and better use those resources? How do your group contributions help to carry the message at all levels of the service structure?

  • Discuss modes of service delivery to find better models
  • Make service easier to do; move to task oriented service
  • Defining problems will motivate finding solutions
  • Focus on the effectiveness of committees
  • Use strategic planning for financial matters to better utilize funds
  • Look at consolidation/ unification instead of separation
  • Utilize resources efficiently

Question# 18: How can we make service more interesting, stimulating and rewarding? And perhaps even fun?

  • More creative Brainstorming sessions
  • CBDM stimulates discussion and involvement; more closely follows spiritual principles
  • Remind participants of the importance of individuals in the process
  • LISTEN BETTER
  • Incorporate incentives
  • Combine fun with service elements
  • Training and mentoring

           

      
The end of World Services Presentation- Back to Issue discussion Topics
         

         Metro Services
                         Two New Areas overlap > shared services. Model appears in  
                          Guide to local services page 81

  1. The Metro Committee would find clear lines of communication for shared services. This has actually been a problem with shared services in some areas already. Lines of communication are not clear. Accountability to more than one area for some subcommittee’s can be a time consuming task. 
  2. Consolidation would require fewer people to serve a greater area.
  3. Responsibility is on the subcommittee to be accountable.
  4. Pacific Cascade used the Guide to local service as a tool when Seattle and Portland were setting up shared services. They work shopped their Metro ideas. They came down to not enough interested people to really implement them  
  5. San Francisco and the Bay Area are the model for metro services in the Guide to service. They have had problems but also some great success with shared services in PI and H&I and a shared Unity Day.
  6. The RDA from Arizona was concerned that wearing more than one hat would create poor performance at many different levels.
  7. How do we best use the people we have in service? Committees were formed to explore this.
  8. One RD said that they have shared services in Phone lines but they have never called it shared services or metro they have always just done it that way because that’s the way it worked the best for them.
  9. Start small, one committee at a time. Get it working and in place before you move onto the next. Take your time. No instant grats….
  10. Accountability being the important spiritual principle here.

 

              Phone line Technologies

  1. Arizona has 130 volunteers- 3 areas .We are looking for a web-based solution to our Phone line problem-Can anyone help?
  2. Different participants talked about what their regions were doing from phone lines on an answering machine in someone’s closet to some sophisticated systems that might help the RD from Arizona in his search.
  3. Some delegates said they would email specific information at a future time.

 

                   Regional Inventory

  1. RD from San Diego presented Regional inventory to the body

Created by an ad hoc group in his Region from 3 different sources (NA group regional zone inventory, area service inventory and the 12 concepts of NA) Their RSC and subcommittees are currently taking this inventory. He made a copy available to anyone who wanted via email at the Zonal Forum

  1. Any inventory done should be taken from loving perspective based on spiritual principles
  2. Hopefully the Areas will want to follow suit
  3. Quite a few of the of the RD’s had experience with a newer and more comprehensive way to do a Regional Inventory that moves away from the kind of inventory that was done toward a small and/or large group discussion based process with facilitator. There is a regional planning tool available to help expedite this process.
  4. Vision of inventory to make subjective changes
  5. Northern California RD has done some small and large discussion based groups at an Area level. With simple questionnaires going out ahead of time only to find out what discussion based Topics need to be talked about at a specific area. These were very successful. No one had anything bad to say after the process there.
  6. Area planning tool in the Phoenix Area; they have a regional ad hoc planning tool chair person. He went out to all the home groups in the area and passed out area inventory. More than 2/3 of the home groups responded. They were just about to revamp that area inventory into a regional inventory; no they think they might like to try the small and large discussion based group concept.
  7. World Board member stated that it needs to be facilitated by a World member or someone who is already familiar with having already participated in the process. In her Region on a much larger scale they completed the process. It facilitated so much enthusiasm from those people who participated.
  8. Cyclical never ending process? Next step beyond the inventory process into subjective changes. How and where those changes happen.

Reprioritize Topics
         

WSZF Scheduling
            

  1. Southern California submitted a bid for next years Western States Zonal Forum.
  2. Ontario Doubletree Hotel
  3. Airport- right there
  4. $99.00 per night
  5. July 20th, 21st, and 22nd  2007
  6. Lot’s of restaurants available
  7. As early as 1:00pm on Friday- 10am on Sunday

                  
                   Moving Western States Zonal Forum to 2008

  1. In place of the summer meeting in 2008  move it to January
  2. Says it would be a real struggle to get World Board  members for CAR report on workshop
  3. Rough on San Francisco. There was some fear that there would be a political Caucus of the RD’s if the the Forum happened before the conference.
  4. Straw poll was taken and no one wanted to change the date.

 

                     Website content

  1. What is appropriate over and beyond meeting schedule?
  2. Older approved minutes; event flyers- no personal phone numbers
  3. Password protection was deemed to be a bad idea-logistically.

Some addicts would have access –word of mouth. It would be constantly changing. Confusion. Some area have done it successfully.

  1. No personal information-RD from San Diego was adamant about getting his private life inundated with frivolous calls. It’s not what he’s here for
  2. Maintain NAWS Standard- manageable
  3. Duplication of websites and information. Some areas and home groups have their own websites. Is this a problem/ Keep it simple.
  4. Can the website serve more than one purpose the RD from Central California Region Asked. Tool for the trusted servants at a regional level to come together with out having to travel and physically meet. Can this be done through the website without involving a lot of unnecessary people? This primarily an email function?

 

           Consolidation of Regions

  1. The RD from Central California Region wanted to instigate discussion on the idea of regional consolidation, so he proposed a Topic discussion of “Dissolving the Central California Region”. It did instigate discussion.
  2. Perpetuating our existence?? Is there a need?
  3. Are we being financially responsible to World Services?
  4. The United States versus other Countries? By consolidating regions it

                    would bring us into greater equality with the World Wide Fellowship.                                           

  1. Are we being responsible to the Regions/ Areas we serve?
  2. Adequately serving both ends of the Fellowship?
  3. My Region vs. Our Fellowship?
  4. What would we loose? What would we gain?
  5. Consolidation.
  6. We discussed Areas consolidating and if that would also have a positive impact on the fellowship and Regions as well.

 

 Naws presentation-Infrastructure of Service

  1. ASC is the Work horse of NA Services
  2. Finished product-Carrying the Message
  3. Area planning tool-strategic plan
  4. In what ways can we bring recovery principles into our Service Meetings
  5. RSC could start with sharing session, 30 minutes
  6. Pass around Recovery reading each person reads a line
  7. You should never share for longer than 3 minutes

      That is how long you will have the groups’ attention.

  1. Stop and pray.
  2. Ask about the Spiritual Principle involved in Service

 

            Rural Areas

  1. Strong outreach. People willing to go the extra distance to bring them in. To let them know they care. The RDA from Sierra Sage goes the distance. She has a passion to reach out and she is a motivator.
  2. Some ideas expressed :

The group that is miles away could have one meeting a month where they invite a speaker to come from the city and plan a pot-luck around it.

  1. Northern California suggested a rotating RCM
  2. A Mobile Convention Changes; locations every year
  3. Get a bunch of friends and travel together to a meeting 25 minutes away that you’ve never been to before
  4. Northern California goes out of their way to include rural areas in their convention pay for their travel and lodging expenses.
  5. Reno Outreach coordinator said that 5% of the people do 100% of the work
  6. Suit up and show up; promote unity, excite fellowship

 

 Housekeeping
            Goodbyes to Steve F, Franny and Rueben A. Thanks for all your good service here “Thought from outgoing RD’s- They come from different places all to do the same thing; continue to focus on a vision of purpose-(Equal, mentoring ,gratitude.)

  1. Thank You Steve R and Ron M for bringing all your good information; your time and commitment. “Great team kept us interested and moving.
  2. Thank you George L for an excellent job of facilitating. “On time, on focus”
  3. It doesn’t happen by accident but by planning