WESTERN STATES ZONAL FORUM

 

MEETING RECORD

 

Download this in MS Word Format here.

Download this in .pdf format here.

WESTERN STATES ZONAL FORUM
JULY 29-31, 2005
SAN FRANCISCO, CA

Participants
Franny J. – Washington Northern Idaho - RD
Jack H. – Washington Northern Idaho - RDA
Ruben A. – Southern California – RD
Ken M. – Southern California - RDA
Jim W. – Rio Grande - RD
Laura B. – Rio Grande - RDA
Kathy K. – Pacific Cascade - RD
Denise T. – Pacific Cascade - RDA
J.B. M. – Southern Idaho - RD
Harper N. – Southern Idaho - RDA
Steve F. – Central California - RD
Rick T. – Central California - RDA
Deric W. – Arizona - RD
Vince G. – Arizona - RDA
Bryan W. – California Mid-State - RD
Rick W. – Region 51 - RD
D.W. D. – San Diego Imperial - RD
George G. –San Diego Imperial - RDA
Jimmy Lee P. – Northern California - RD
Lenny R. – Northern California - RDA
Gene P. – California Inland – RD
Muk – World Board
Bob J. – World Board
Roseann  B.A. – Meeting Facilitator
Sue L. - Secretary

Approval of Previous Meeting Record
Corrections – Greg was not the RD from Arizona, Derek and Vince were the RD and RDA from Arizona. (Derek was not present). Minutes approved with this one change.

REGIONAL REPORTS

Arizona Region
Hello everyone from the Arizona Region of NA. Arizona is growing in all of our areas. Currently we have 12 areas that cover all of Arizon, and parts of California and Nevada.
      We missed all of you at the last WSZF. We are happy to report that we have 3 new areas in Arizona. CAN area (California-Arizona-Nevada), Lake Havasu Area, and River Valley. We also have a new web servant and our technology on the net and in our phoneline system has continuously improved. We just had our regional convention (ARCNA XIX), which was more successful than any of the previous 18 conventions. We attended the WSO workshop in Burbank, CA this past April and once again was very impressed with the leadership at the World level of our fellowship. For the past year, three areas have explored the logistics with forming and setting up a Metro level service structure. East Valley Area, Phoenix Area and West Valley Area were all involved.

 

California Inland
      First, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Gene P., aka Corky, and I am the new RD for California Inland. When last we met I was the RDA.
      California Inland is made up of 4 areas that hold over 200 meetings weekly. We meet the first weekend of July. We are currently doing a complete overhaul of our guidelines, part of which is changing the term for RD & RDA from 1 year to 2 years to come in line with the conference. Elections for these positions only are held in the off Conference year.
      Our Region uses Resource Officers instead of sub-committees for all but our Convention and Activities. H&I is the only RO position that is filled at this time. The Activities Committee is not active. Our H&I RO meets quarterly to break bread with the 4 area H&I chairs to promote unity and share problems and solutions. Our Convention has come and gone. It was well attended and appeared to go smoothly. California Inland turned 10 this year, so for the opening speaker meeting Friday night, our Regional Chair lead the meeting and the body did the readings. It was a way to introduce ourselves and share a little bit about the history of how our Region was born. We invited NAWS to come do interactive sessions on the 2 Issue Discussion Topics. It went well and had approximately 5 round tables for each topic.
      Something our Region is trying to initiate is holding an assembly to go over the CAR. Because of our large geographical coverage, we are looking at holding two assemblies, 2 areas per assembly.

California Mid-State
Greetings from California Mid-State Region,
      Our region’s seven areas serve the northern and central San Joaquín Valley and the central Sierra Nevada Mountains.  Our region serves cities such as Fresno, Stockton, Modesto and Visalia, as well as the Mother Lode Gold Country and Yosemite National Park.
      We have more than 425 meetings each week.  All areas continue to experience substantial growth.  Our smallest area has grown from 8 meetings to 20 meetings per week in 18 months due to drug court diversion programs.   We have dances, campouts, retreats, learning days and many other celebrations of recovery.  This year, Fresno celebrated 25 years of continuous NA meetings with a free party.  We expected 300 and had more than 500 show up (we thank our HP that there are places to buy barbequed meat since we ran out!).  We had a memorabilia room that was better than any I have seen with items such as approval drafts of the first Basic Text, It Works How and Why, and the sign-in sheet from the 5th Northern California Convention from 1983.  We had a multimedia presentation with photos of addicts across the years and finished with our longest-term members, who started the first meetings that stuck in April 1980, as speakers.
      California Mid-State Region carries a Regional Insurance Policy that covers every meeting and area or regional event that is held within the Region.  Our policy covers all who attend our functions and meetings.  We pay an annual premium and distribute the cost to the areas based on the number of meetings in each area.  This year, our $1,000,000.00 coverage costs us $8100.00.  Our cost for meetings has remained the same for the last four years.  We have a new carrier who charges us less per event and per additional insured, although we have more events so our cost savings is a wash.  If anyone is interested hearing more about our coverage, we would be more than happy to share the information with you.
      With regard to doing service at the Regional level, our administrative body is fairly typical. California Mid-State Region operates with Regional Information Coordinators instead of subcommittees.  Our RIC’s are to become the best-informed person in the region on his or her subject and act as a resource to local subcommittees.  We have Hospitals & Institutions, Public Information, Activities and Literature RIC’s.  Our Literature RIC is coordinating PR Handbook review and is putting on a Basic Text Writing Workshop.
      Our region participates with NA as a whole by sending our RIC’s to Western Service Learning Days, our Convention Chairmen to the NAWS Convention Workshops (when we have them), by participating in the Western States Forum, Worldwide Workshops, World Services Meetings (when we have them), and the World Service Conference.
We held a regional assembly in November, 2004 to write our position papers on the fellowship-wide discussion topics.  We also held a three-day assembly at Yosemite over the 2005 Memorial Day Weekend.  We use what we have learned at the Worldwide Workshops and WSC to act as facilitators and not as lecturers.  Responses from attendees have been positive.
      We continue to make use of regionally sponsored, area hosted learning days and have bids in for the next round.
      Our 9th Biennial Convention will take place in June, 2006 in Modesto.  This committee has been using very new and clever ways for raising funds.  They have sold blankets and director’s chairs.  They held a murder-mystery dinner where the participants had to solve a murder that happened during dinner.  It was certainly a lot of fun.
      We have been sending literature to prisoners who write us asking for it.  We budget $500 per six-month period and utilize a charge account with NAWS.  We have at least seven state prisons, including the women’s death row, a youth authority prison, five federal facilities and several state and federal hospital facilities as well as fire camp, nine county jails, and juvenile halls.  We will no longer service facilities outside of our region.  We are continually baffled that the Fellowship Services Team gives our address to any prisoner incarcerated north of the Grapevine.  Tehachapi, Inyo-Kern, Wasco and North Kern State Prisons are not in our region but are in Central California Region.  We request once again that the WSO purchase a map and look at it before answering prison mail with follow-up addresses.  We now forward letters from outside the region to the RSC that serves the facility.
      Our region has been engaged in a search for our identity.  We are in the process of bringing in lawyers and accountants to answer business related questions with respect to our region, its structure, and its place in the legal world.  We met with Anthony at the WSO before the Worldwide Workshop that took place in Burbank.  We sent a delegation of eight members; administration, RCMs, RD team and convention chair team; to Chatsworth to hear the experiences of our most experienced members and special workers at the WSO.  We were given direction on questions we should be looking into and held a very informative conversation.  We asked for referrals from NAWS lawyers and accountants to professionals in Central California and were told that they would seek them out for us and get back to us.  We also discussed pooling insurance resources by coordinating with one company in California for all of our regions along with NAWS to help lower everybody’s costs.  Unfortunately, we have not heard from the WSO since our meeting, and we now have several RCMs very displeased and other members claiming “I told you so!”, feeling that NAWS does not care about helping regions.  As an RD, it is a difficult characterization to overcome because of no follow-up.
      We look forward to entering into the heavy-work part of the cycle.  We are ready to plan for CAR Workshops and our Literature RIC is ready to workshop anything we will need to approve.  We do hope that the board will increase communications with the fellowship as NAWS News and Conference Report issues have been very few and far between.  An issue after each board meeting should be sent to those the board is directly responsible to.  A report to the RDs five times a year is not too much to ask for.

Central California
Our Region is comprised of 5 Areas that are made up of 276 meetings a week. They are: Central Coast with 84, County Line with 23, Gold Coast with 50 (1 is Spanish speaking), Kern County with 107 (2 are Spanish Speaking), & Santa Barbara with 12. We meet every other month and conduct our business utilizing Consensus Based Decision Making. At least two of our areas also utilize C.B.D.M. We hold our Regional Assembly in March. We hold a single day Assembly in the off Conference years where we workshop the issue discussion topics, generate additional ones, and elect our Delegates. On the conference years we hold a 2 ½ day Assembly where we also workshop I.D.T.’s and generate additional topics in addition to addressing the CAR. We revised our guidelines during our last Assembly to reflect the 2-year conference cycle, Delegate terms of service, elections, and the abolition of the 2nd alternate. We forwarded our Region’s nomination of our outgoing Delegate George L. to the position of World Board Member. All in all conscience of the members of our region is being carried through the service structure.
In the area of subcommittees, we are proud to report that our Hospitals & Institutions Committees carry over 100 panels monthly. We have formed a new subcommittee; Sponsorship Behind the Walls. They are still in the process of formalizing guidelines, and are expected to offer opportunities to further our primary purpose in new and exciting ways. We have a Website www.ccrna.org for the dissemination of our Regional events, guidelines, reports, and related information. It also serves as a source for Area events, meetings, and contact information. It is updated regularly and has become part of the Public Information Subcommittee. Our Public Information Subcommittee is struggling a bit with only a chair right now. Meanwhile our Area P.I. efforts are continuing. We also have no regional activities, literature development, or literature distribution at this time.
Our last convention was in Feb. 2005 in Ventura, CA, celebrating our thirteenth anniversary. Our growth has made it impossible to hold our Saturday night main speaker meeting in the hotel, so we had to shuttle members to the Oxnard Performing Arts Center. This, in addition to the weather shrank our attendance to approximately 1000. This is making holding our convention anywhere but Bakersfield an insurmountable hurdle. We hope to see you all at our next convention February 17th thru the 19th in Bakersfield. We are continuing the process of researching the incorporation of our convention, or the Region as a whole.

Northern California Region
Greetings Western States Zonal Forum,
The Northern California Region consists of 20 areas and approximately 1200 meetings. The RSC meets monthly at the Regional Service Office (RSO) in Vacaville, consisting of the RCM’s, H&I, PI, NCCNA (convention), RSO Board (an incorporated entity). We had elections and approved our budget in June. The regional web page is www.norcalna.org.
Regional PI has been operating under the coordinator structure for a year now, and it seems to be working quite well. Attendance at the bi-monthly PI sharing forum is up and the time that is being saved by not being bogged down with business is filled with PI informational workshops that are conducted by area PI committee members.
Regional H&I is beginning discussions on whether the coordinator structure will work as well for them as it has for PI. Initial reaction is negative, as it was with PI, but as stated, they are just getting the discussion process underway.
Northern California hosted Western Service Learning Days in October. By most accounts it was a success. Financially WSLD paid for itself and made a modest profit. Spiritually the event went very well. Feed back from the attendees was positive. The all day NA/CDC/Drug Court presentation was very informative. After a rocky start the committee pulled together and did what was needed.
Our RSO Board meets monthly at the RSO. The RSO supplies insurance, that is paid for by the RSC, for all meetings in our region and is currently leading a revamping of our regional website.
As was reported at last year’s forum our RSO Board of Directors was under a lot of pressure from having to handle our regional convention, WSLD and area conventions as well. It was the wish of our RSC that the BOD come up with a way to continue handling all of the events that were being sent to them as well as their other responsibilities. An adhoc committee was formed and met for almost six months. The conclusion of the adhoc was that there was no mechanism for dealing with area conventions that would not bring our region into conflict with the 12 Traditions and 12 Concepts. The RSC agreed with this conclusion and passed a motion not to send any area events to the BOD.
Mostly as a result of being overworked our BOD ran into difficulties carrying out its normal functions and maintaining the degree of accountability we are accustomed to. With the help of our RSC treasurer and RD, the new BOD treasurer did a re-vamping of the BOD’s accounting procedures. After determining that the BOD was operating at a loss the RSC gave the BOD an infusion of operating capital and agreed to take measures to increase their income.
Our annual convention,NCCNA 27 was held in Sacramento this year. The convention was a success both spiritually and financially. It was largely as a result of our convention that the RSC was able give the BOD the financial help that they needed. The NCCNA committee is financially accountable to the BOD and spiritually accountable to the RSC.
Most of our Areas have functioning PI and H&I Subcommittees, Phonelines, monthly ASC’s and Activities Committees. Some of our areas in the more rural part of the state are experiencing problems common to us in NA, more work to be done, with too few people to do it.
Our RD and RDA are in the process of revising our Conference Agenda Report Guidelines. Our region instituted a new process for dealing with the 2004 CAR. Rather than holding 20 CAR Workshops our Areas were divided into 5 zones. Each zone held a pre-CAR and post-CAR assembly. Although the pre-CAR assemblies were quite successful, the post-CAR assemblies were not well attended and will be eliminated for 2006. Instead, the post-CAR assembly will be done with the RCMs, who will then bring the information back to their areas.

Pacific Cascade Region
Our region currently has 13 Areas, 1 has been inactive at Region for almost  a year, and one is a brand new Area that split from our largest Area, Portland.  Geographically our region covers all of Western Oregon, most of Central/Eastern Oregon, small part of Northern Cal. And little pockets of S. Washington.  Areas range is size of 7-10 meetings/week to @300 meetings/week. The Portland Area is having growing pains and will probably split into 3 Areas,  but they are also looking at Metro. More will be revealed.
Our annual Regional Convention was held in Grants Pass this past May and was a success both financially and a great celebration of recovery.  The Area worked very hard for almost 3 years to make this a fun event with great speakers.  The upcoming Regional Convention will be in Portland, OR May 12-14, 2006.  Also, the PNW #29 October 2006 will be held in Eugene, OR.
Our RSC meets quarterly and rotates around the region. Areas host the one day event. Our region holds 2 Assemblies each year in conjunction with the Winter and Summer RSC. We have the Assembly on Saturday and the RSC on Sunday.
On conference years the Winter Assembly is a 2 day event separate from the RSC, so we can discuss the CAR, CAT and workshop issue discussions.  This year at the February Assembly we did small discussion groups on Infrastructure.  2 weeks ago we had our summer assembly and we did Public Image and also a workshop on writing for the Basic Text. We used the 90 minute model suggested on the website. It seemed to go well. At all of our Assemblies we use a feedback form that is very helpful in making any changes to the format, one comment that we consistently get is that they much prefer the small group discussion format rather than people standing up giving reports. So our challenge as Delegates is how to disseminate/communicate all of the interesting things that we get from NAWS with out losing their interest. One way is to make copies of  documents for them to take with, digest later and just touch on the highlights in reports.  We have had 2 summer assemblies at the coast  and they are not as well attended.
Our Region finally has a web site!  www.pcrna.org. Check it out. It is new so I’m sure there will be changes. 
Life is good in the Pacific Cascade Region.

Region 51
Not much new these days. We are in the process of changing the structure of our regional body. Currently we are a resource body only, providing information and support to our member areas. It was decided at a regional assembly to form a service body, based on the model of the majority of regions in the USA. And AD-HOC committee was formed to facilitate the process. Membership, as well as an outline structure, was established by the AD-HOC. Currently that committee has appointed representatives for each subcommittee to write guidelines to facilitate the tasks that were identified by the committee.
I wanted to submit a motion for consideration to be placed in the CAR. After making the rounds to my member areas I lacked the time to give the motion the proper attention it required for formal submission. I might consider submitting at the WSC. The motion was: to make the HRP a formal subcommittee of the World Board, utilizing the existing election procedures. If there are any other regions that might want to support this please contact me. 

 

Rio Grande Region
(SENT EMAIL REQUESTING REPORT)
Representative from Twin Cities, three communities broke off from the twin cities area formed their own area. Holding a meeting this month to decide if they are going to a region, form a new region, etc. Board is still struggling to figure out their responsibilities, how they function. Areas have been coming to them to help out with events, some concerns. Greater Albuquerque area looking into opening an ASO.
Will have a written report tomorrow.

San Diego/Imperial Region
Greetings from the sunny south, Since we last met…
            We have had two annual regional conventions. Our 2004 convention was held in September at Barona Resort and Casino in eastern San Diego county. It was saturated with controversy; the Casino element, a new site from our previous ten plus years, too far away from local transit lines for newcomers, and as such did not have strong support by our local fellowship.
            Our 2005 regional convention fared much better; centrally located, a large local hotel hosted us and we booked almost 300 rooms that helped to defray convention room costs. It was held Memorial Day weekend, a hot weekend and the many pools that the hotel had helped. We also had a “historical” theme as it was our twentieth regional convention and many old-timers came out of the woodwork to see us.
            Areas within San Diego/Imperial Region have been supporting our region more strongly these days. We just had our 1st Regional United Learning Days which was reported a success by many. Regionally, we used to have a Confenverence several years ago to facilitate the CAR workshop. With the current biannual state of the CAR we decided to host a Regional United Learning Days on the off-CAR year cycle. Basic service was the theme of the event; teaching Group Servants. Music, food, and fun were the attraction. 200 plus in attendance.
Problems our region is encountering and topics for this 2005 WSZF

  • Facilities dictating to our meeting surveillance; local hospitals dictating arrival times an departure times for our meeting attendees, signature authorization. Tradition violations and breakdown of trusted servants helping the fledgling groups.
  • Youth attending our local meetings and feeling safe; scroll down for more on that.
  • Service Structure breakdown. Regional RSC has vacancies in P.I., poor Policy subcommittee attendance. Many areas subcommittees don’t have chairs and/or don’t send them to the regional meetings. Striving to fill service commitments is an ongoing problem.
  • NA Police: how do we strengthen our fellowship, stop predatory behavior, tradition violations, theft of NA funds at group level, etc without a big stick approach? We hosted a Learning Days to help and it goes deeper than one event can heal.
  • Predatory behavior is the hot topic. Our Board of Directors is looking into presenting some advisory event or public image statement to address these problems. This current allegation is not an isolated event.
  • The local DA is investigating some allegations, it seems that a registered sex offender (rso) is renting meeting space to NA groups. Our RSO CEO and RSC Chair are speaking with the local DA, more to come. The local DA has sent an electronic mailing to all the Alcohol Drug Services contractors advising them against sending young people to this meeting address. NA World Services is aware of the problem; it has been suggested to us that we go directly to the rso and suggest that he stop renting meeting space to our local NA groups; great suggestion. We have included a copy of the ‘warning’ at the end of our report.

All and all, we survive and stay clean. Rich is the spiritual bounty of NA service.


(Letter from DA Follows)
TO:                  ADA Contractors

FROM:            Connie Moreno-Peraza, LCSW, Deputy Director

NARCOTICS ANONYMOUS (NA) MEETING ADVISORY

Alcohol and Drug Services has received information from the Probation Department via the District Attorney’s office that a young people’s Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meeting is allegedly being facilitated by a registered sex offender who is not to have contact with minors.  The District Attorney’s office is taking appropriate actions. Programs are strongly encouraged to refrain from referring youth to the following NA meeting:
NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD

Sierra Sage Region

  • We acquired insurance to cover all meetings on the regional schedule. Riders are available for individual events.
  • We have an active outreach committee who communicates with the geographically challenged portions of our region.
  • Our tax situation has been resolved with the IRS and the region is up to speed. No one is stepping up for the treasurer position since Karen R. did such a good job of cleaning up the IRS situation.
  • Our convention will be at the Peppermill Resort September 30th through October 2nd. I have a packet of pre-registration flyers for each delegate to take and distribute.

Southern California Region
Our region has approximately 1260 meetings and 151 Spanish speaking only meetings throughout its 20 areas.  Of those 1127 meetings, 4 are Armenian, 3 are Farsi, 1 is Hebrew and 3 are American Sign Language. The RSC recently revised its regional guidelines. On the off year of the WSC we encouraged the GSR’s and RCM’s to attend the WorldWide Workshop that was held in April in Burbank. As Ken and I start on our 2nd term in office we have been going to several areas meeting to answer questions and introduce ourselves to the GSR’s. It has been a rewarding experience to be able to do that as no RD or RDA has done that in our region for quite some time. One of the hottest topics in our region this year has been the holding of raffles at our regional and area events. As we all know raffles can be a great source of revenue for our areas as well as our region. But with the information that we got last year from the Northern California Region at the WSZF in Las Vegas about raffles and the law that the State of California came out with in 2001, it makes raffles illegal unless you register with the state. I hope to put this on the agenda for discussion for we feel it is a very important issue that needs to be looked at by the regions within California and to be looked at by the regions outside of California to see how they are covered in those states.
Regional Service Office (RSO):  Our RSO is maintaining itself. They have fallen way below their prudent reserve but are working on new marketing strategies to bring sales up. They currently have 9 directors of the 14 available positions. The RSO carry’s insurance for the regions 20 areas as well as, our events. Earlier this year we lost our insurance coverage because of a lack of payment for an additional insurer that we didn’t know that we had to pay. So because of that the groups and events were with out insurance for a period of 4 ½ month.
Hospitals and Institutions (H&I):  All 20 areas including the Spanish Speaking area attend the monthly H&I subcommittee meeting. The region carries 57 panels that go into our Hospitals and Institutions within our region. The 19 areas, along with the Spanish Speaking region carry approximately 618 panels. The subcommittee holds an annual Learning Day in the month of May which has been moved this year to September 3, 2005 because of some facility problems.
Public Information (PI):  The subcommittee continues to reach out to the community and by educating our young people by carrying presentations into the schools. The website committee works under the guidance of the PI committee. The website committee currently is working on guidelines. One of the issues that has come up is the subject of anonymity on the website. We are currently running at about 85% accuracy for meeting information on the website.  8 of the 20 areas have websites.  We are still trying to set up a meeting with NAW’s to take a look at their database so that we can function together in updating meeting information on the World’s website.
Regional Activities:  The regional activities committee puts on 3 major events per year. The NA Birthday, New Years Eve and the Regional Campout. They also help with the H&I Learning Day and the Regional Assembly Workshop. They help out the 20 areas with their events by providing a calendar so that the areas can have regional dates so that no area event conflicts with another areas regional event. They post all areas events whether they are a regional or area event on the regional web site.
Phone lines (PL):   Phone lines are currently running a 24 hour 7 days 800 number with live addicts answering the phones. 7 areas are helping accomplish this.  The Spanish speaking area is helping the region man the Spanish speaking hotline.
Literature:  We currently have no Literature Review committee because of lack of participation.
Regional Convention:  The Convention committee is getting ready for this years convention which will be held over the Thanksgiving weekend at the Ontario Convention Center. They had a nice convention last year, but lost money. No donation to the region.
Cruise Committee:  The Cruise Committee had another successful event this past September 2004; it didn’t donate as much as the 1st and 2nd cruise but it still was able to donate to the region.
Spring Gathering Committee:  The Spring Gathering committee also didn’t have a successful event this year; they didn’t donate to the region. This is a small but active committee showing how diverse our region is.

Southern Idaho Region
            The Southern Idaho Region is comprised of five areas: High Desert, Treasure Valley, Magic Valley, Minni-Cassia and Snake River Valley. The region covers all of the Southern part of Idaho, Jackson, Wyoming and Ontario, Oregon.  There are between 70 to 80 weekly meetings.
            The region meets on a quarterly basis that rotates between the five areas. Depending on which area you are in, the travel to region can be as much as 300 to 325 miles. We have a two day region meeting. The Saturday meetings are the sub-committee meetings, RD and RDA meeting and the executive committee meeting. The Sunday meeting is the region business meeting.
            We have a regional assembly in the spring, which addresses the topic discussion, CAR Workshop and voting in the conference years.
            Our region is still having problems with subcommittee support from the areas. At present we do not have literature and activities committees chairpersons.
            Our regional convention and annual campout rotates between the five areas.
            We have just submitted guideline amendments and will be voting on them in October. One of the submitted amendments would reduce regional finances to only two quarters operating expenses. Along that line also one area has stopped sending donations to region because they feel we have two much in our regional treasury.
            Nominations were done in the July meeting and we have four positions with no nominations. At present by guidelines, the RD has three other positions at region, regional vice chair, activities and literature.
            We have a website with an elected webmaster.

 Washington/Northern Idaho Region 
We have 21 Areas consisting of approximately 700 meetings spanning over 74,000 square miles that include Washington State, North Idaho, and a bit of North Eastern Oregon. 
RD team has implemented a quarterly report to the region.  The report summarizes NAWS News, NA Way Magazine, World Board reports, and Western States Zonal Forum.  The purpose is to increase communication throughout the levels of service reaching the individual group member.  It is a one page report and we bring enough copies to our region for RCMs to distribute to all groups.
We have held several Issue Discussion Topic Workshops and have forwarded all info to NAWS.  Several Areas have initiated work groups to review/input the proposed PR Handbook.
We implemented a significant transition from a Regional Conventions Association (corporation) to a Regional Fellowship Services Association (corporation).
The only noteworthy issue we have is a resistance to move away from CAR Workshops and use the Regional Assembly as a communication mechanism.

NA World Services (NAWS) – No written report.
Previous to this actual report Bob J. (WB) discussed the lack of NAWS News due to loss of staff, but one will be coming out soon, hopefully in time for the convention. If you know anyone that has writing skills and abilities who would consider taking a position at the World Service Office, please have them send their PROFESSIONAL resume (not World Service Resume) to the office.  
Currently there are two major projects going on: 
1) Basic Text Project – Really encouraging people to send in stories. Suggestions for how to get people to do this: one on one communication, ask them directly to write up their story and get it in; flyers (handed out at the session); suggestions on what they could write about (specific things they’ve talked about in meetings); set a 30 day deadline from the time you ask them to write it; tell them you’ll help them with the submission and follow-up with them on it.  
2) Public Relations Handbook – Roseann (facilitator) and Jack (Wash/No Idaho) are both on the workgroup. Chapters 5 through 9 going out on September 1st.   Handbook going great, biggest criticism is that H&I is being overlooked but this concern should be addressed in Chapters 5 through 9, it’s in there.
Other World Service News/ Issues:

  • Changes to Translations Process - At the most recent World Board meeting, which was held a couple of weeks ago,  some changes as to the ways we translate literature were approved. Recommendations were made by the TEG (Translations Evaluation Group), which various local and regional translations committees have signed onto completely. There will be more specifics about that in NAWS News. There may be a regional motion coming regarding translations in the CAR, but this may not make the August 1 deadline. (At this point there was discussion on submitting regional motions, Bob discussed the need for communication through out the conference cycle as opposed to a few months before the conference. A good idea is a good idea and doesn’t need to wait for a CAR motion. The board takes all input and good suggestions are incorporated. He then gave the example of a region sending an ASL translation of the first 10 chapters of the basic text. The Board thought it was a great idea, they sent it to some professional translators to review for content and these translators came back and said it wasn’t quite right. The idea didn’t go away, they are now trying to get the translators that did the evaluation to be the one to do the tape. It’s still a good idea. Video tape the sign language interrupter at meetings to give the deaf community videos as we have speaker tapes. Question regarding is there a need for ASL people, answer YES. Another language you speak, check it off on the world pool resume.
  • Editorial Board – World pool people have really increased this group. Met a person in New Zealand and he would never been involved if it wasn’t for the World Pool.
  • NAWS News – (See earlier notes). NA Way is now available electronically, but you can’t get it both electronically and in paper form. You have to choose. If we could get more people using the electronically produced version it will reduce the over-all cost.
  • Infrastructure – You’re an area when you say you are. Hopefully with a good infrastructure we can capture the best processes; i.e. Washington/ Northern Idaho Regional Summary and how that is a best process that others want to take advantage of now. Looking for a Culture Change – Dialog instead of a one way flow. Once it meets the end user, need to be of value for them.
  • Conference - A dilemma, what can the discussions be about that has value to not only the Regional Delegates, but the average members. How do we engage the rest of the fellowship? The fellowship versus the conference.

Leadership – HRP is sitting down with the board to discuss methods to get people to take on leadership roles in service. Change in how the workgroups are being filled makes a difference. Delegates elect other delegates historically. Would be nice to change this, but realistically? Motion 58 – Allows for the nomination from a region, zone or board to forward a nomination to the HRP after the blind selection process, not an automatic nomination to be put on the ballet. There is some confusion on this issue. Nominations can still be made from the floor, but Motion 58 actually allowed for the person to be inserted into the process post the blind selection. HRP, nominations committee and the full board have worked closer together then ever before. Leadership isn’t just about cultivating people for service on workgroups, boards, WSO, etc. It’s for cultivating people that can work in all the various circles of service. We need to grow our infrastructure to make this a 2            1st century infrastructure. Leadership cultivation is part of that infrastructure of service.

  • Literature/Convention Workshops – The Literature/Convention Workshops has been moved to standard services as opposed to a board duty. This is due to the need being from the fellowship as opposed to from the Regional Delegates and Conference participants.
  • Website - Likely see some discussion and pre-warning that World Services will be re-designing the website. It’s time. Too busy, hard to follow, etc.
  • Website Bulletin Boards - One of the board members assignments is to go on the bulletin boards on the website, as Muk began using these sites she realized that no one is using them. These could be a great communication device.
  • Fellowship Development –Developing an infrastructure that can support the needs of the fellowship. One of the reports that the board has been receiving is that the amount of services and materials that world services is being able to deliver to developing fellowships is growing as a direct result of donations coming in from the fellowship as a whole. Everyone is very excited about the development of the Middle Eastern,  South African and (Africa), and the split off section of Russia. At the conference we are going to be feeling even more how our fellowship is changing and growing. The Middle East – Growing in areas where it’s hard to grow and even get into at all. India – India translations workshop. Anthony brought back the sign-off for 11 or 12 IPs. It’s taken 15 years for them to come to agreement on translating various words, such as “Addict”.
  • Money – The World Service Office is in stable financial condition, hoping to stay that way. Not risking capital, but working to get some investments by putting together a good detailed investment policy. Sarbanes-Oxley Act defines corporate management of Non-profit organizations records/ data/ financial policies. Anthony is very conservative in this area. Question on the detail in the annual report, specific financial detail can also be accessed by request at any time. Can’t put that level of detail in the annual report.
  • Questions – Dealings with Cuba? Any follow-up? Some well meaning members over stepped the bounds with trying to help with Cuba, the meetings almost got shut down. Havanna is down to two meetings a week, attendance is very, very small. Sometimes with certain governments it’s hard to make headway.
  • World Convention – Coming up. Board is now running into issues on space needs when picking convention sites. San Antonio – 2007, Barcelona – 2009. Unsure on 2011.
  • Question on court cases – Bob said he can’t speak to them in an open forum. Registering groups at World has caused an illusion of control that isn’t there. Exposes world to issues.
  • Insurance Company – Are we suing for the deductible from the theft? Will follow up and Bob’s understanding is that we are not allowed to sue for the deductible. We accepted the terms of the insurance companies settlement and by doing that, we can’t persue any further getting payment from the individual. If the prosecutor does pursue it they will contact NAWS to ask for any restitution necessary.
  • Donations to the World Service Office are at record levels. 11.5% of the annual budget by donations.

Self-Support – people at her local level that believe that if they are putting more than a dollar or two into the basket they are breaking the traditions, needs to be explained that this isn’t what is meant by the traditions. No changes to prices and shipping and handling in the next year. 

Guideline Review – Changes are being made to the guidelines to include: 1) Bring Copies of Reports. 2) Spell California Mid-State Correctly 3) Bullet Points 3 and 4 under Hosting will include information on the website and getting the information regarding the upcoming WSZF to the website as well as the meeting record after the meeting has taken place. Please see guidelines for changes.

Website Information in Guidelines Discussion/Decisions:
A bullet point under hosting, the host is responsible for putting the information on the website (or getting it to the appropriate person for the website prior to the meeting as stated in (bullet point 4).

Discussion on Rio Grande hosting the site or maybe some other area hosting the site, maybe even having our own site on an area’s server. Talked to Ron and he is willing and capable of maintaining the site. He is also willing to mentor anyone else if they decide to do it. Ron suggested that if we want our own domain name some region should offer to sponsor it. Southern California is willing to take this back to their region and see if they’d be willing to do to this and host the sites. Suggestion to discuss this in April at the conference or via email or mail, right now maintaining the status quo.

Discussion on asking Rio Grande to link the WSZF page to the page on www.na.org. After minimal discussion it was decided that Rio Grande would like this page. They agreed to handle this issue.

Discussion on content on the site:

  • Contact List? – Contact list should not be listed on the website from here on out. This will be put into the guidelines under a section on the website.
  • Ask Rio Grande to edit what’s there, removing last names. Rio Grande will take care of this issue.
  • Meeting record on the site? Everyone is comfortable with that.

Under Site Selection and Hosting Process Discussion on start time on Friday, decided to keep the time as is, but please follow the six o’clock time.

Blind Copy when you send out the email lists.
Decision was made that the names should be first name last initial only on this website information.
Discussion on getting topics early and prioritizing. No changes made.

Bids for Western States Zonal Forum 2006
Central California Region submitted a written bid for hosting in Santa Barbara, CA.
After much discussion a regional straw poll was taken about accepting this proposal. More discussion on this ensued. Accepted the bid from Central California. Date of next Western States Zonal Forum will be July 28 – 30, 2006.

Presentation at Conference
Bryan from California Mid-State Region volunteered to put together a report and do the presentation at the WSC this year.

Discussion Topics

  • Spanish Speaking Area
  • Leadership Workshop
  • Incorporation/ASO/Leasing Bldgs
  • Infrastructure
  • Donations/Fund Flow/ Self-Support
  • Court Interaction
  • Raffles/Fund raising
  • Regional Information Coordinator
  • Acquiring mtg. locations
  • Insurance
  • Childcare
  • Re-Sale/ Tax ID
  • H&I clearances
  • Predatory Behavior
  • Sponsorship/ Behind the walls
  • Translation approval process
  • Rural Areas
  • Post Mtg. Gambling

SPANISH SPEAKING AREAS
The Area representative from Southern California, Christina was invited to speak. Here is her report:
      The Area de Habla Hispana Sur de California Narcoticos Anonimos (AHHSCNA) is actively functioning with a total of 28 groups that are providing 167 meetings per week as my PI chair informed me.
      Our first meeting took place on February 9, 1997. The idea was then to gather the Spanish Speaking Groups for a Learning Day. The “area” meetings rotated throughout the existing groups at the time. Help and guidance was asked from Southern California Region. Spanish Speaking Subcommittees began forming according to the needs of the groups always working in the spirit of unity along the side of the Regional Committees.  On December 19, 1999 SCR recognized this body as a Spanish Speaking Committee that had the functions of an area Comite Regional de Servicio de Habla Hispana Sur de California Narcoticos Anonimos. SCR guidelines were amended to include this committee. Because of our name we created confusion and our Spanis speaking members were confused and thought we were a region. To avoid any further confusion and with the help of our friend Bruce, the former RCM and currently the vice chair of the area, we requested to be recognized as an Area and SCR recognized us as an Area. In October 2004 we submitted our registration to the World Service Office with our name; Area de Habla Hispana Sur de California Nacoticos Anonimos.
      The sub-committees that are currently active are Public Information, H&I, Activities, Phonelines, and Convention. Our area is in the process of organizing their first convention in May 2006. Again the region gave us guidance on how to establish this committee. Unfortunately, due to lack of members able or willing to be of service we do not have a website or a literature committee at this time. Again, we have received the full support of SCR to update our meetings information by the Website Coordinator of the Websites regional committee. The Grupos en español have current information on the web page.
      We continue to work closely with the Regional Committees. Unfortunately, when the chair does not speak English this becomes a problem. Nevertheless, our objective has been met. To take the message of recovery to the addict who still suffers in their language. In this case the message is needed in Spanish.
      Our Area invested to have me attend the Latin American Zonal Forum this past June. It was a precedent that an Area was voted in representing the Latin American Community in the United States. Their proposed guidelines allowed for Areas and communities representatives to join. We were admitted and are now active voting members of this forum. We are able to participate and hopefully be helpful in some of their projects such as the translation committee, the writing of the personal stories, and completion of their guidelines.
      When attending the FZLA I learned that the Spanish population has grown immensely in Latin America the in the United States. I met the convention chair of the Area de Metro de Hable Hispana of New York.
It is great to see the sprouting of new groups and areas for the Spanish speaking addicts.
      AHHSCNA at this moment is in the process of updating the guidelines and to establish a prudent reserve.
      I like to thank my region for inviting us to be part of this forum. I am so grateful to be of service and to have been blessed to be a part of these projects. To learn every day that I can be of service makes me a grateful addict.
Christine PJ, RCM AHHSCNA

  • Question on how the Mexico areas close to the Rio Grande Region can be helped to help them carry the message. There is a problem with a border and a language barrier. Asking for suggestions. World Services is looking at production of literature where that language is being spoken, ie. India, Mexico, etc. In country literature production. Within the US there are many diverse cultures that are only now being reached. We have to trust the process, allow NAWS to handle fellowship development
  • El Paso, part of the Rio Grande Region, took the Juarez fellowship and development of that under their wing. They have the resources and time and ability to do that. Now that Juarez is splitting off the El Paso fellowship realized that they are now so depleted they can barely keep going. Question on this is where is the responsibility? How much of our resources should we be spending on this issue? They’ve had a lot of trouble figuring out how to balance this issue.
  • Questions to the Area Rep – Area covers the entire Southern California Region. They actually have allowed groups from outside of the region to attend the area if they’d like. H&I and PI committees are their own, but they attend the H&I and PI regional committees and report on what they are doing.
  • Question on why the groups don’t participate in the local areas, because they aren’t bi-lingual.
  • San Diego Imperial Region had some questions on the abilities to be able to support/ help/ recognize these Spanish Speaking Meetings if they don’t know they exist. Always a need for more communication.
  • Emphasis needs to be on Unity. The service structure is breaking up into different patterns based on needs, we are moving in a variety of directions, ie.language directions. How can we work together to serve our primary purpose? What we want to do is work together and make our fellowship better. We all want to do service in Narcotics Anonymous and that will be a way to tie the fellowship together.
  • This area structure is a great model for other Spanish speaking groups to become self-supporting.
  • So Cal discussed how the process of incorporating this body wasn’t always easy, but it’s happened through a lot of growth.
  • Outreach knowledge is needed, what can we offer to help incorporate the experience strength and hope of the Spanish Speaking Area? Christina would be willing to take this back to her area, or another suggestion is to send members of your groups to So Cal for suggestions and help as needed. Mentorship would benefits the other Spanish Speaking groups immensely.

 

LEADERSHIP WORKSHOP

  • New ideas from the WSO on techniques they are using to develop leadership. Need for cultivating leadership in regions and change the stigma on 10% of the region doing 90% of the work. Looking for more input on leadership development and how to cultivate RCMs and GSRs to continue carrying the primary purpose.
  • No easy solution to this, some of the best leaders in our fellowship get turned off by the structure of service. One tool that has worked well is to be less abrasive and kinder to the members that are volunteers. Continuity is also important, training members to take over positions. Training on leading a meeting, basis core skills that really make a difference. Trying to make service attractive to the members that we are trying to bring into the structure.
  • Leaders are but trusted servants they do not govern, but it doesn’t say they do not lead. Change the negative connotation on the way we look at our leaders. The NA Way for the past several issues has had articles on leadership and the development of leadership. The gardening methodology. Weeding out what isn’t working. Go through the soil again and till it up. Establish a culture that nurtures the growth of leadership.
  • Inviting someone to come along. Invite a GSR to come to a regional meeting. Keeping service attractive in my own attitudes and actions. How I describe what I do? What I get out of it? The cycles of competency that comes from rotation of service, needing to learn through their own mistakes, not just always telling people how they should do it. How we treat each other is very important too. Criticizing them, putting the trusted servants down when they are trying to do their best. It’s really up to us to keep service looking good, stand up for people that are doing service, help them become a part of instead of putting them down and criticizing. 1
  • Hard to get the areas to allow us to come and present, guide do small group discussions. Studying the concepts, traditions and local guide to service with others in your fellowship.
  • Use the stuff in NA to help people, give them a copy.
  • Before you can become a leader you have to make the discovery that you have an opinion, and then find a voice to express your opinion. The small group discussions seem to be a great way to do this. Haven’t found another tool that has done this. Worth getting a headache by banging your head against the wall to help guide people to get this.
  • Input from Pacific Cascade regional assembly topic discussion workshop. What do you expect from your leaders? Lead by example, written clear accurate job descriptions, constructive feedback, workshops and learning days, sponsorship and mentoring, be positive about service and make it attractive. Support your leaders, give positive feedback.
  • In the process of consensus based decision making, facilitation really helps with framing leaders. The encouragement of minority voices really helps to gain leaders.
  • Sierra Sage is having a leadership workshop in South Lake Tahoe for the first time. Trying to allow the direction to just happen.
  • Teach early through sponsorship and educate the next person coming on. Leading by example. Getting your own personality out of the way.

INCORPORATION/ ASO’S/ LEASING BLDGS

  • ASO’s – If your needs are being met without a service office, why start one? If you need to take money out of the service structure to start an office when you don’t need it what is the motivation? Will you provide better services, what are they? Does it make it better?
  • Does World Service recognize ASO’s?
  • Worried about the legality of “NOT” being incorporated and having conventions, events, etc. Mid-State meeting with lawyers to see what their options are.
  • Asked board members what the status of Bulletin 32? (Banking, incorporation, etc.) It’s not available, was pulled by executive director due to concerns. Information available at www.irs.gov, don’t listen to rumors. IRS says you don’t have to file taxes if you make less than $25k. Keeping this information updated would be a great service if the office could provide this. Not having legal status is a real burden and is a trend in North America that seems to be continuing. Encourage people to gather this information and keep it current.
  • Why have an ASO when it doesn’t help? Can’t get discounts at world by being an ASO. Filing for Tax Exempt status is not that hard to do.  What are we doing in our service structure to protect the members that are signing those contracts for us? Difference between Re-sale taxes and income taxes. We need to pay resale taxes. (At least in California)
  • Big difference between and organization and a loose association of groups, many different regulations. If you sign for a contract with a loose association you personally are responsible. Bulletin #32, Sarbanes Ocksly is still being rolled out. Account generally will give you all the information instead of boiling this down to what you need. This act (Sarbanes-Oxley) is impacting how long it’s going to take getting Bulletin #32 out.
  • After much research one region decided they didn’t need to incorporate because they don’t handle enough money. Now they are working on figuring out how to become responsible for the sales tax due. Need clearly defined information to base decisions on.
  • Different laws depending on the states we live in. Non-profit status is not tax-exempt status. A Non-profit group or club can exist without a corporation, a tax-exempt body cannot. Once Washington Northern Idaho got right with there laws, taxes, etc. things seemed to be flow better.
  • Rio Grande Region made a decision as a region to incorporate as a Convention Corporation. Took on some specific processes. Set-up processes for registration. Sign contracts relating to conventions only. Now the areas are coming to them to sign contracts for the area events/ conventions, etc. How to handle this issue?
  • A resource for information on incorporation is your Sec. Of State Office/ Website. Portland Area Service Office years ago had problems, embezzlement and had to close. Now they are trying to form another one. There’s been some pretty shady things happening to make this come about, and this has cause disunity and is splitting the area up. The ASO wanted all the other areas to come to them for literature, didn’t happen. Big problems.
  • Northern California tried really hard to work to protect the areas by using the corporation as a shield, tried really hard to figure out a way to make this work and realized that the area’s would need to give up too much autonomy and the workgroup that was formed after much deliberation realized that there was just no way to make this work while staying within the concepts and traditions. Report from workgroup is available if you want it.

INFRASTRUCTURE

  • Most if not all of the topics we’ve got to discuss are related to infrastructure. Communications, leadership, carrying the message, PI, etc. all related to infrastructure. Stewardship – as it relates to our service. Leaving something better than we found it. Making sure the person that is following me has all the tools, resources, information necessary to pick up the ball and carry it farther down the road. Identifying areas at world service where leadership can be built.
  • Getting GSRs to stay at area, changing the focus of discussions and emphasizing the abundance and sharing what has been accomplished. Just stating what’s missing is missing the point.
  • Hyper growth in NA. Areas unable to handle the rapid growth and the older timers are getting overwhelmed. Culture clash between newcomers from treatment and the old timers causing problems with getting the NA message across. Realizing that all we can do is one addict helping another. As people start getting a little bit of time they can be the ones to reach out and carry the NA message. If you are an old-timer and newcomers from recovery homes are shouting you down, shame on you.
  • Drug court newcomers – situation where the area phoneline was being run by people in treatment.  Asking for information on newcomer meeting/ workshops, Greater San Jose Area in Northern California Region has been doing these type of meetings for a long time. If you need any information on this contact RD’s from Nor Cal.

DONATIONS/ FUND FLOW AND SELF-SUPPORT

  • World Services – A dollar, A meeting, A week. If ½ of the meetings in the world 16,500 meetings (33,000 weekly), comes to $858,000 a year. It’s a small amount sent by a lot of meetings. It’s not about huge decisions; it’s about small decisions made by many.
  • Realistically we would of course like to decrease the cost of the basic text, but it is still how we fund our services.
  • Another suggestion is a penny a day on your birthday to world every year.
  • San Diego Imperial Region financed an area in Baja and then that area choose to break-off. Now San Diego Imperial Region is raising money to take literature down to them once a month on a road trip. This is a problem when regional groups need help and aren’t getting it because the funds are going to Baja.  
  • Shaming doesn’t work. Money will mess us up, fine line. Educate at the group level how little money that goes in the basket ever makes it to world services. It’s a very small percentage. Encourage groups, areas to donate to world services and explain what the funds are being used for at world level.
  • What is Self-Support? When we think about self-support we really want to think about what we value and putting our resources where we honestly believe they will produce the most benefit to achieve or live our values. What do we want from the fellowship and what is it going to take to produce that?
  • Some regions have rich resources to use to spread the message. Sharing at meetings how Narcotics Anonymous benefits me and how I need to reciprocate. Some people say put a buck in the basket for every year you have clean. Benefits of self-support need to be shared at a home group level.
  • So often we come at issues with an all or nothing kind of approach. Develop a measured transition plan. One of the things the new regional seating plan has now. Make the move from here to there in a calm deliberate step by step plan.

COURT INTERACTION

  • Consistency is the biggest problem that NA has in the eyes of the courts. Without a good Public Information team we struggle. Find out who’s in the drug court field and find out if we could slide in through these people. Back to the issue of support in the fellowship to keep these information panels current and make sure they are available when needed. Most judge’s schedules are booked a year in advance, so if you want to get on the calendar you need to get in there in December. The biggest drawback is the public relations panels.
  • Judges in Pacific Cascade Region called the helpline and asked NA to come in and do presentations, actually asked them to be part of the panel. Didn’t think this was a good idea, but was willing to help just as a member of the community.
  • CDC (California Department of Corrections) single form application for clearance information. Has been a dream for a long time but hasn’t happened because each warden has the responsibility for their prison. Lenny discussed his interaction on the 12 Step Advisory Board of the CDC. This panel has now been elevated to a decision making board for the CDC which might change the way things are going.
  • Outside funded entities going into jails/etc. replacing NA in the facilities has become a problem recently. 
  • Northern California Region decided that the 12 Step Advisory Board was more important than a single sub-committee. It could be used as a model for other regions/states, etc. in the future and it was important to be consistently represented. It’s great to be able to set up models that work and share them with others.
  • All 39 tapes from the WSLD (Western Service Learning Days) are on the So Cal website if anyone is interested.

RAFFLES AND FUND RAISING

  • Raffles are illegal (California) but having a hard time getting people to follow the rules on this issue. Even have shared the information on how to do it legally and nothings come of it.
  • San Diego Imperial Regional Guidelines actually have raffle discussion in them.
  • Information on the California Penal Code Law as a charitable organization. Also depends on how you file with the state. Costs $20.00 a year to register for this license. Doesn’t matter what you raffle as long as 90% goes back to NA and 10% goes to the winner. Must be a 501c in California to register for raffles. In Southern California there are many areas that have stopped having raffles.
  • Keep putting the information out and the message will get there.
  • We can not force groups, areas, etc to not have raffles. All we can do is continue to get the message out there. Eventually others will pick up the torch and start getting the message out.
  • Question regarding Fund Raising – outside donations on the web portal? The portal says that we only accept donations from members. Question about other ways to raise funds. Auction of NA memorabilia. Auctions are legal.
  • Silent auctions, merchandising committees that sale merchandise to help raise funds. Campouts seem to raise money too.
  • Why do we need to raise all these funds? What happened to focusing back on the 7th Tradition. Start talking about it in meetings, put more than a dollar in the basket. When we focus on revenue we lose the primary purpose.
  • Members are getting older staying clean and dying, people are using their images to raise funds.
  • Interesting fund raising ideas at the Best Little Region. Jars with members pictures on them. You put money in the jars and the person that got the most money in the jar had to kiss a pig.

REGIONAL INFORMATION COORDINATOR

  • What is the roll of the H&I and PI subcommittees, do they provide services, etc?
  • Regional Information Coordinators. Regional position and coordinates with H&I and PI subcommittees from the various areas.
  • Arizona region struggling with growth and overlap of services. Metro services seem needed and is wondering if having a RIC would help with this type of service?
  • Northern California Region recently changed to RIC format for PI. PI Sharing forum happens now and H&I still has the old structure, the next step is to have H&I change. It’s a gradual process.

ACQUIRING MEETING LOCATIONS

  • Some areas are really struggling to find locations and are holding their meetings in one or two locations only. Also sharing meeting space with AA makes for a dilution of the message. Where else can we go?
  • Ideas: Restaurants, Volunteer Fire Dept., Stores, Public Bldgs, Public Parks, Veteran’s Halls, Clubs(Elks, etc.), Halfway Houses, Sheriff & Police Depts., Bookstores, Catholic Church Services, Red Cross, Bowling Alleys, Hospitals, Churches, Fellowship Halls.
  • (PI) Public Access: work to change our public image. Have strong leaders to interact with facilities.
  • Public Relations: Very Important—follow the rules, do what we say we are going to do.
  • Change our inappropriate behaviors.
  • Letters of reference from staff at places we already have meetings that are happy with us.
  • Tell the truth about who we are & who we serve right in the beginning.

INSURANCE

  • Central California - $2400.00, 12 additionally insured events are covered and the rest are $150 for each additionally insured, for 250 meetings.
  • Insurance is almost a necessity these days, and the types of things that can be insured are important to know. $1000 for an area with 15 meetings. 
  • Arizona just completed a three year quest on finding insurance. $3500 a year, covers the convention and covers every meeting that is listed on the meeting list. Also covers 4 other region events. Any area can fill out a form 90 days before the event and it will cover the event. 
  • So Cal insures all their meetings, covers convention committee and all regional events. RSO also has insurance for inventory, recently added employee theft insurance. $4200 hundred for regional policy. $2400 for RSO policy.  
  • Questions on how many have actually had claims and how many charge their areas for their coverage. Problem in Washington Northern Idaho (area there) had a problem with the insurance not covering an accident because the person that signed for the policy wasn’t there. Trying to figure out how to get a policy that covers the areas and charge them for it without bankrupting the areas.
  • Cal Mid-State is actually listed on the policy, not an individual even though they aren’t incorporated, just an individual signs for it and the insurance company says they aren’t libel. Another issue is that when a government agency wants a rider and asks that all its officers, workers, etc be covered, please ask for reciprocation.
  • Nor Cal Insurance doesn’t cover breaking a window at an event. It’s liability insurance only. When someone drowned at an event we didn’t know what was supposed to happen next. The board of directors in Nor Cal has an insurance representative that is responsible for either knowing or investigating the answer to questions.
  • Sierra Sage has a policy that covers the meetings that are on the regional schedule. There is an issue with one area that has a rule that a meeting needs to be at area for 6 months before they can be listed.
  • So Cal doesn’t cover any sporting events. There is a waiver that everyone must sign.

CHILDCARE

  • Franny:  Do not have childcare! It is one of the most serious liability issues that we can take on.
  • Ruben: So cal insurance does not cover childcare and will remove any meeting from the directory that is offering it.
  • Brian: Members that say because their children are addicted children of addicts that this makes them members of NA.
  • JimmyLee: Childcare meetings are usually off the hook.  Some churches provide child care as a service.  Does not think that children should be banned from meetings. If you bring a child you are responsible.
  • Isabelle: Needed to bring her children to meetings, but took responsibility for her children when they were at meetings.
  • Bob: Two issues 1. Meeting that offer childcare. If you do this it should be through a licensed childcare service. 2. Do not want to send the message that not bringing children to meetings is a requirement for membership in NA.
  • Laura: People who suggest that we have childcare should be taught that it is a dangerous practice.  Children that come to meetings may be members at some future time.
  • DW: “Childcare provided” is still listed on SD’s meeting schedule. SD’s RDs will start pointing this issue out.
  • George: Concerned about children’s activities at events. Is it legal?
  • Steve: Single mothers that attend women’s meetings need childcare.
  • Robin: Doesn’t believe that child care should be provided but that it is extremely important. We, as established members should personally help to watch the children. Bring books and toys
  • Lenny: Check with insurance company on childrens events
  • Kathy: Convention contracts with an off-site childcare service for limited liability. At dances parents are required to register with their children; are given a number so that if anything happens a parent can be found. An Area had a family friendly meeting. When a registered sex offender showed up he was banned from the meeting.
  • Denise: Homegroup has a box of toys. Has a Kiddie Jail sectioned off.
  • Gene: Regional convention had incidents with kids mis-behaving. Convention required kids to register for convention.
  • Muk: Some people have to bring their kids to meetings. This topic speaks to and “Atmosphere of Recovery”. Service meetings should be talking more of this issue. Sponsorship Families should use the “family tree” to assist members with children.
  • Franny: The topic is childcare, not children at meetings. It is dangerous to have children in a special area where someone who is not the parent can abduct a child. Children at meetings are susceptible to sexual predation. Be cautious with children.
  • Robin: Parents must take responsibility for their children.

RE-SALE / TAX ID

  • Rick: If you’re going to sell something you must get a re-sale number and pay your taxes. If we’re going to act as a business we must pay our taxes as a business does.
  • JimmyLee: There are no exceptions to the sales tax law. “I didn’t know” does not work with the State of California. Re-sale permits are required at our Alternative Stores.
  • Bob: World convention requires a re-sale permit. WSO provides info on who to contact for local WCNA tax information
  • DW:  Regional office personnel give information to areas on taxes. Anything that you make a profit on requires that taxes be paid. Region adds the tax into the price of their merchandise. The issue of areas not paying taxes is a 4th Tradition violation. The non-paying of taxes affects NA as a whole.
  • Isabelle: When you travel to NA events with merchandise call ahead to find out what the laws are and what the filing processes are in that area.

H&I CLEARANCES

  • Steve: Use Nor Cal as a resource to the 12 Step Advisory Board.

PREDATORY BEHAVIOR

  • Bob (on his soapbox) This topic is based on one comment from one professional.  Recognize the Atmosphere of Recovery. Inappropriate behavior should be pointed out on an individual basis and in as strong of language as is needed.
  • Brian: Predator should be based on the legal definition; not because someone hits on the newcomer.
  • DW: To prey on someone that is weaker then you is predatory behavior. Talked about the issue of “registered” sex offenders being the issue.
  • Laura: Members take responsibility for pointing out individual behavior.
  • Franny: The World Board has to take responsibility for putting this issue out worldwide. Should registered sex offenders make full disclosure when doing service that may bring them into contact? “Sex offender” does not necessarly mean “predator. Sexually acting out is different. Personal choice: behavior is a matter of opinion

SPONSORSHIP BEHIND THE WALLS

  • Steve: Work with Freddie at the WSO. Sponsorship flyer is at www.ccrna.org.
  • Bob: WSO will put you in touch with other people that have information and experience with what works and what doesn’t.
  • Vince: Trying to get people in prison to do service.
  • H&I and Sponsorship Behind the Walls are not affiliated. H&I precludes any form of sponsorship.

TRANSLATION APPROVAL PROCESS

  • Not enough time for approval process. Worried about how this will affect the Basic Text Project. Want a full year to approve recovery literature. Its taking too long to get IPs translated.
  • Bob: The English copy is approved. Foreign language countries can decide what pieces of literature they want translated. Conceptual fidelity is what the Board is seeking in translations. The process for this has been made more “user friendly” recently to make this process go more quickly.  
  • Steve: Questioned the dis-enfranchisement of foreign speaking members from the initial “English” approval process.
  • Bob: cost benefit ratio makes it imprudent to try to do anything but an “English” language version first.

RURAL AREAS

  • Rick: Fellowships are popping up that have no idea of the service structure. How do we provide services to them? We need to ask these areas what it is that they need.
  • Harper: Harder to keep the NA message clear in rural areas. Must teach and inform better.
  • Derik: Rural NA has problems getting trusted servants that are multiplied.
  • Sue: Support from the region is essential. Rural areas do service better than urban. If it needed to be done it had to be done with the people that were available.
  • Lenny: Must be mindful of the traditions when meeting our needs.
  • Laura: People that really want recovery in NA will find the resources that they need. We need to give them support by making the effort to attend their meetings. Laura: Convention Corp. is able to take conventions to places that can’t afford to hold or even attend conventions.
  • Isabelle: NA is happening in rural areas (geographically challenged). Members are getting and staying clean in these places.   Changed quorum process so that if rural GSRs need to leave it does not affect business. Outreach is the key.
  • Jim: Rural areas get the job done with the resources that they have. If there is more than one member at an ASC you have a quorum. Recovery is not based on size.
  • Brian: three rural areas in region. Some are reducing the number of subcommittees due to manpower problems.
  • Gene: RSC rotates quarterly to all of their areas so that the rural areas know who and what regional service is.

POST MEETING GAMBLING

  • Rick: Gambling is an outside issue and is not our business.
  • Steve: Poker meetings.

BASIC TEXT APPROVAL PROCESS

  • Bob: The evaluation is based on recovery content; quality of story; style, structure and length of the piece; diversity; reading level; appropriate language (profanity and NA). Pieces will be edited once a release is signed. Structure may be changed. Slang or colloquial phrases. may be changed due to translation difficulties. Edited for religious, drug specific and anonymity issues.  There may be entire stories and sections with partial stories. These decisions have not been made yet.    There are about 10 members on the workgroup. They will make recommendations to the board and the board will then make the final decisions.    
  • World Pool Information Forms deadline is Aug 30 for consideration for elections at the conference.   

Meeting Closed at 12:10 p.m. after all topics had been discussed.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service.

Sue L.