Western States Zonal Forum Meeting

January 29th - 31st, 2010

Download this in PDF format here.

  Friday January 29th Session: Meeting Opened @ 5:40 pm

 

       Roll Call

  Alaska (Newly seated Region @ WSZF): Tony

  Arizona: Vince & Ken

  California Inland: Oscar & Giner

  California Mid-State: Doug

  Central California: Mary Ellen & Tony

  Northern California: Matt & Traci (Traci Absent)

  Pacific Cascade: Tauni & Lisa

  Region 51: Shelly & Ira

  Rio Grande: Laura & Freddy

  San Diego Imperial Counties: Pam & Nila

  Sierra Sage: Karen & Robin

  Southern California: Ken & Deb

  Washington Northern Idaho: Dan & Julia

  Facilitator: DW (San Diego Imperial Counties)

  Recording Secretary: Karina (Northern California Region Vice Chair)

  NAWS: Jane, Jim

  Visitors: Loraine (Washington Northern Idaho Region Chair), Eileen (San Diego), Mike (CA Inland)

 

       Regional Reports: 5:45 pm - 6:50 pm

 

Alaska Region:

Thank you for inviting us to join WSZF. We are happy to be invited and I am looking forward to the experience of working with this group. A little history of Alaska Region: We just celebrated our 27th year anniversary.

1.     After many years of not having a functioning Region (the only committee was a convention committee at the Region level) we finally got it together. I believe we have been attending the WSC for the last 5 or 6 years.

2.     Our Region consists of four Areas: Juneau, Fairbanks (Golden Heart), Anchorage, and Kenei. The Area geographically covers approximately 2,000 miles. We currently are very involved in reaching out to cities and villages.

3.     Our options for Zones were Canada, Asia Pacific, or Western States. The Fellowship choose the WSZF. There is a lot of apprehension amongst our Areas as to our spending our limited resources sending members to the WSC let alone also to the Forum.

s  I basically told them that the Alaska Region joined the WSZF, so it would only make sense to attend. The RD wants to skip going to the WSC, so that we afford to attend both Forums Meetings and WSC. I dont like the idea, but it is not about me. I had Ron Miller (WB Vice Chair) email the Alaska RD to talk to him about the choice. When I was encouraged to join the WSZF, I was told that this body was willing to help fund travel from Alaska for us to attend. I am hoping to bring back lots of information for my CAR workshops and whatever else we do here at the WSZF, to hopefully convince our fellowship of the value of doing business on a muti-regional level as well as a World level.

4.     We have a Statewide helpline and 4 Area helplines

5.     Three meetings a day in Anchorage, About One meeting a day in the other Areas.

6.     Our Convention is the main source of our funding. We have a budget of about $8,000 per year.

7.     Most of our money goes to outreach to outside communities.

8.     We are involved in translating the Little White Book to Intuit (Eskimo).

9.     We are still trying to figure out our difficultly in keeping our positions filled. PI is going strong and H&I is week at the Regional level.

 

I am excited to be a part of this and hope this body sees the value of invited Alaska to join.  – Tony L. Alaska RD

 

Arizona:

Arizona region has 12 areas and 500 meeting a week.  The H&I committee has been working hard on sponsorship behind the walls.

 

The RCMS are working on grouping the lit orders from all areas to get a better discounts and help out the smaller areas to get more for the dollars spent.

 

Our board of directors make sure that we have insurance for all meeting and regional events.

 

Our first car workshop was held on January 9, we had over 100 GSRs in attendance. On March 20th we are having an Assembly for the GSRs to vote on the motions.

 

Area donations have been down from our larger areas. We were able to a $5,000 to NAWS.

 

In fellowship, Ken F. RDA RDA@Arizona-NA.org

 

California Inland:

CIRNA or California Inland Region of Narcotics Anonymous stretches from the Orange County line on the west to the Arizona border on the east, south to the San Diego county line and north to Adelanto which is near Victorville. Our region is compromised of about 244 meetings, we hold our RSC meeting once a month and rotate it to each of the five member ASCs at least once a year.

 

At the risk of sounding like a cover up for my not having been diligent on writing a regional report for this WZF, I report that we have not had much change since our last report. The chronic challenge of a need for trusted servants to commit to, and at times fulfill their commitments, at region continues. One of the biggest eye openers for me has been my realizing through the RD service, that the challenges of CIRNA are pretty much on par with many other regions. We will be having our CAR Assembly on February 6.

 

Our convention, CIRNAXII will once again be held in Palm Springs at the Renaissance Palm Springs (formerly The Wyndham). Although it is the CIRNA Convention, because it has always been held in Palm Springs there continue challenges with members thinking it is The Palm Springs Convention. Nevertheless, the feedback has been mostly positive, members enjoyed their time, the hotel loved us, and we loved the facility and look forward to another successful event in 2010. It was very nice to have the hotel allow us pool access until 3 a.m. and was absolutely appreciated and taken advantage of with the 100 degree plus weather.

 

On the other hand controversy was highlighted when I brought up at our RSC the displeasure with people, presumably members, sitting out on the pool deck restaurant smoking a Hooka Bong. Our convention chair and others defended the bong as Tobacco Pipe, defended it as legal and while I am aware of cultures that have been using them for perhaps thousands of years, it is a concern with paraphernalia being displayed and used at an NA event, that causes the displeasure. In regards to our Primary Purpose what message does this send? No paraphernalia to meetings, but at a convention its ok? After having articulated my concern, which is shared by others, I have searched to determine if perhaps it is overreacting, perhaps not my concern, in short to determine what is in line with our primary purpose. I bring it up in this report because I would like discussion and the benefit of the collective experience here at this forum.

 

Oscar L. CIRNA RD (951) 522-2958 NA12@Verizon.net

 

California Mid-State:

Since our Zonal Forum met last summer, the California Mid-State Region has continued to work with our revised guidelines, modified budgeting procedure, and partially modified service structure. Time will tell regarding the guidelines in general, but the budgeting changes have resulted in two back-to-back donations to the World Service Conference.

 

The California Mid-State Region has used Regional Information Coordinators (RICs) rather than subcommittees in its service structure. Our recent guideline revision consolidated all the coordinator positions into one Super RIC for the purpose of streamlining the work and making it more efficient. From outside view this job now seems daunting and quite the labor for mere mortals. 

 

Thanks again to our sister regions for sharing insurance contact information with our region. We are in the process of reviewing our current insurance policy. State and Federal taxes are a current challenge that is being managed. We have engaged a new accountant and are moving forward toward possible incorporation and applying for non-profit status. If you have experience with these matters we could use your experience and specifically examples of documentation you used such as your foundation documents.

 

Our Region Convention is coming up in just over four months: June 11, 12, and 13, 2010. It will be held in Stockton California and more information is available at: www.cmsrcna.org.

 

One of our Regions Areas is producing its annual music festival this spring. The KTASCNA 13th Annual Gateway Blues Festival is scheduled for May 15, 2010 in Three Rivers, California and more information is available at: http://nabluesfest.webs.com/index.html.

 

My Regional Service Committee has great expectations of benefits from our Zonal meeting here in San Diego flowing forth as a contribution to our upcoming round of CAR workshops prior to the 2010 World Service Conference.

 

ILS, Doug Crutchfield Regional Delegate 559.681.3646 edoug@att.net

 

Central California:

Central California Region of Narcotics Anonymous - Meets 3rd Sunday every other month

 

CCRNA is made up of five areas with approx 312 meetings a week. Services provided by the areas include: Monthly ASC, H&I, PI, PR, Literature and Activities subcommittees, help lines, and websites.  Each area except Santa Barbara has at least one bilingual meeting.

 

County Line: approx 22 meetings a week

Simi Valley, Moorpark, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, Newberry Park. 

 

Gold Coast: approx 62 meetings a week

Ventura, Oxnard, Camarillo, Santa Paula, Ojai.

 

Kern County: approx 100 meetings a week

Bakersfield, Tehachapi, Taft, Wasco, Delano, Lamont, McFarland, Maricopa and Lake Isabella.

 

Central Coast: approx 102 meetings a week

Arroyo Grande, Atascadero, Grover Beach, Lockwood, Lompoc, Morro Bay, Paso Robles,
Orcutt, Pismo, San Louis Obispo, Santa Maria, Solvang, San Miguel.

 

Santa Barbara - approx 13 meetings a week

Santa Barbara city.

 

Our regional services include Central California Regional Convention, annual insurance policy, bi-annual regional assemblies and our website (https://www.ccrna.net).

 

Our subcommittees include Sponsorship behind the Walls and H&I subcommittees. Our regional PI subcommittee has not functioned for approx the last 7 years. Our regional H&I subcommittee has finally gotten its membership and service level back up to regional subcommittee standards, they suffered from the formation of the sponsorship behind the walls subcommittee. They have a the chair positions and area chairs positions filled. We are still considering forming a regional Public Relations subcommittee that would umbrella these subcommittees and offer services like IDT (Information Discussion Topics) training, service pamphlet workshops, ect. At our last assembly we inventoried the region and found that training was the biggest issue among the GSRs. 

 

Last year the region formed the CCC&E Incorporation board which oversees the functions of Central California Region Convention subcommittee and events. The members include regional service members, current and past convention committee members and although our resources overlap with regional service resources at this time the formation of this board enforces the accountability of funds and reporting to the IRS. 

 

Fund flow is a bigger problem for our region now that the convention incorporated because they cannot donate to an un-incorporated entity, so between no donation from the convention and financial hardships in the meetings we are not having our usual weekend long regional assembly. We are looking into CCC&E to host and fund the next regional assembly as an event.

 

Since we met last Santa Barbara participated in an area planning tool. We can see that since our areas have participated in APT and invited RDs to visit, the attendance and knowledge at our regional service meetings has shifted to more discussion based meetings than report reading meetings. We are excited about this change. Discussions at our region include an ongoing discussion of fund flow and where the money is going - where can we cut costs and save so we can make donations to NAWS. We will be doing our leadership IDT workshop this coming cycle - our focus has been on

 

In preparation for the world service conference we are hosting 2 CAR workshops and a one-day regional assembly. Based on finances at the region we found this to the best alternative.

 

In loving service, MaryEllen P and Tony O. (RD team CCRNA)

 

Northern California:                                                                                         

The Northern California Region consists of 21 Areas with approximately 1300 meetings per week. The NCRSC provides insurance for all of its meetings and most of the events that take place within our Region, as well as acting as the point of accountability for the Northern California Convention Committee (NCCNA) and a Regional Service Office Board of Directors. We still have 1 open RSC Admin position: Assistant Treasurer. The BOD has 3 open positions: Assistant Treasurer, Office Operations, and Secretary. NCCNA has 1 open position as well.

 

Regional Service Office Board Of Directors

Our Regional Service Office, is a California 501.3c corporation. It serves our Region through literature sales, insurance matters, website coordination, as well as providing meeting space for all Regional Committees and Forums. The BOD has a total of nine positions. The 2008-2009 Annual Report will come out sometime early this year. The BODs 2009-2010 Goals are:

1.      Implement an action plan to fill all open board seats by the end of March 2010 by:

a.     partnering with Regional Nominations Panel (RNP)

b.     utilizing Regional Resource Pool (RRP)

c.     reaching out to the Northern California fellowship, including past board members, to identify new potential candidates

2.     Increase sales to meet budgeted numbers by:

a.     accessing new marketing channels, other areas and regions, and commercial retail outlets

b.     increasing online sales, offering incentives for ordering online

c.     expanding product line

d.     streamlining the sales process

3.     Begin developing Technology standards and processes for all Regional Services equipment by:

a.     recruiting an IT Coordinator

b.     inventorying all computer hardware, software, and services

 

Northern California Convention of NA (NCCNA)

The Northern California Regional Convention holds an annual Convention. We rotate the location between three venues: San Jose, Santa Clara, & Sacramento. This cycles Convention will be April 1st – 4th, 2009 in Santa Clara, CA. The Theme is 12 Steps Many Miracles. Pre-registration is now open online @ www.norcalna.org. We are trying to focus on increasing our pre-registration and decreasing our expenses.

 

We are trying a different approach to the usual way weve been doing service workshops at NCCNA. Rather than have the RSC, RSO, H&I, and PR all host workshops on different days and rooms, there is going to be a Service Tract all day Saturday. We will arrange the room in a creative manner, and use various service handouts, displays, the sentimental NAWS videos of the world wide fellowship, Pool forms, etc, and create a rich learning environment and general open house between workshops for members of the fellowship to interact with members from Regional services. By pooling our resources together in the same room on the same day, we can create a full day of fun learning from Northern California Regional Services. We can also target trusted servants and potential NA leaders with a unified message on the gifts and rewards of service involvement as part of our collective celebration of recovery. The RSCs topics will include: Building Strong Home Groups, Leadership, Self Care & Service.   

 

Regional H&I and PR

We have now combined our Regional H&I and PR Sharing Forums to the same day (on the 4th Saturday of the odd months). As of now, they are meeting together as a joint Forum. We have now met three times in this fashion and during this past meeting; we evaluated the merits of meeting together vs. separate. As of now, the majority is in favor of this change and finds it very beneficial and helpful. Some of the fears behind this merge is that there will be things that will come up that will only pertain to H&I and not PR and vice versa. Some of the solutions that were discussed were: holding small group discussions on those issues, splitting up the group only for those topics, and to work the agenda around those topics. We will continue to monitor the pros and cons of having Regional H&I and PR meet together. We have continued using the technology gotomeeting.com as a way to have members participate in the Forum.

 

Bi-Monthly RSC / 2009-2010 Action Plan

At the July 2009 RSC meeting, we held an Inventory session. There was an overview of the items from the 2007 Inventory as well as the bi-monthly RSC issue. We held an open sharing session for any and all members to share about how they felt about the changes taking place at the RSC as well the direction it is heading. We held small group discussions regarding the bi-monthly RSC. We came up with several solutions to the concerns that arose from changing to a bi-monthly RSC.

 

Our experience over the past cycle has taught us that a scattershot approach to trying to implement all of the changes called for in the 2007 RSC Inventory was not always effective for us. Therefore, an Action Plan was developed by the outgoing NCRSC Administrative Committee in May of 2009 to provide guidance and direction for the workload of Regional Services over the 2009-2010 Cycle. Our intention is to provide a responsible plan for the fulfillment of services that establishes reasonable and obtainable objectives by which to measure our progress in the year ahead. The Action Plan was passed unanimously in August 2009. Part of the Action Plan is to go to a Bi-Monthly RSC format for the remainder of the cycle.

 

Since we began this cycle, we have had to make some adjustments to our schedule in order to stay on track. As well as put some things on hold, due to how things have played out. The following is an adjusted timeline:

 

  June 2009 – RSC Meeting P

       RSC Meeting: Elections P

       Working Groups: Humboldt Traveling RSC WG P

       Admin Teambuilding/Offsite Meeting P

  July 2009 – RSC Meeting P

       RSC Meeting: Evaluation of Bi-monthly RSC & Inventory, Review Action Plan, 2009/2010 Budget P

       Working Groups: Humboldt Traveling RSC WG, H&I Fire Camps WG P

       2 Admin members to WSZF P

       Audit of 2008-2009 RSC P

  August 2009 – RSC Meeting P

       RSC Meeting: Review Inventory of Bi-Monthly RSC, Review and Approve Action Plan, Present FST Guidelines for review P

       Working Groups: Humboldt Traveling RSC WG,H&I Fire Camps WG P

  September 2009 – Traveling RSC P

       RSC Meeting: Traveling RSC in Humboldt P

       Working Groups: H&I Fire Camps WG P

  October 2009 – RSC Meeting P

       Working Groups: H&I Fire Camps, Compose February & March NA 101 - CAR/CAT 2010 Event WG P

       4 Admin Members to WSLD P

  November 2009 – NO RSC Meeting P

       Full Day Admin Meeting P

       Admin mid-year review P

       Narrow RNP slate P

       Working Groups: H&I Fire Camps WG, February & March NA 101 - CAR/CAT 2010 Event WG P

  December 2009 – RSC Meeting P

       RSC Meeting: RSC Approves RNP Composition, FST Guidelines Review P

       Working Groups: H&I Fire Camps WG, February & March NA 101 - CAR/CAT 2010 Event WG P

  January 2010 – NO RSC Meeting P

       Working Groups: H&I Fire Camps WG, February & March NA 101 - CAR/CAT 2010 Event WG P

       CAR Trainer the Trainer P

       FST Guidelines Review P

       RSC Quarterly Audit  P

  February 2010 – RSC Meeting

       San Francisco NA 101 - CAR/CAT Event

       Working Groups: H&I Fire Camps WG, February & March NA 101 - CAR/CAT 2010 Event WG

       RNP

  March 2010 – NO RSC Meeting

       Sierra Foothills NA 101 - CAR/CAT Event

       Working Groups: H&I Fire Camps WG

       RNP

  April 2010 – RSC Meeting

       RSC Meeting: H&I Fire Camps WG final report

       RNP

       Regional Workshops at NCCNA

       RD and AD to WSC 2010

  May 2010 – NO RSC Meeting

       Full day Admin Meeting – year end evaluation

       RNP

  June 2010 – RSC Meeting

       RSC Meeting (Elections): RNP final report and nominees presented

       FST Guidelines Motion Presented

 

Important Dates:

  NA 101 - CAR / CAT Event (San Francisco) – February 20th, 2010

  NO RSC MEETING IN MARCH

  NA 101 - CAR / CAT Event (Sierra Foothills) – March 13th, 2010

  Nor Cal Convention (NCCNA) – April 1st-4th, 2010

  NO RSC MEETING IN MAY

 

In Service,

 

Matt Schmeck                                                                                            Traci Pickett

NCRSC Regional Delegate                                                                                     NCRSC Alternate Delegate

sfnamatt@gmail.com                                                                                 tpickett001@yahoo.com

 

Pacific Cascade:

Our Region encompasses most of Oregon and a small portion of Northern California. Things are well in our Region. We have 14 Areas with around 520 meetings. North Coast has rejoined our RSC after a very long absence and we are very happy to have them back with us. We meet quarterly and hold three assemblies in conjunction with the RSC, one of those is a Learning Day. The next one is April 17th & 18th in Silety. The Learning Days are in our Guidelines to be held annually, but we have not done it for many years this will be our second.

 

H&I and PR are strong with strong attendance at their subcommittee meetings.

 

We are still trying to do a Regional Inventory, but we are still struggling with that.

 

Our Budget has taken a hit this year since no Area had placed a bid to host the Regional Convention, so we are not having one. We had to decrease our budget by $5,000.

 

Our PI has moved to PR and have new guidelines out to the Groups for approval.

 

My Regional has expressed concerns regarding the WSZF meeting in conjunction with WSLD and would like to have the WSZF meet every January instead.

 

Thank you for letting me serve, Tauni Mc C – RD

 

Region 51:

 

Rio Grande:

The Rio Grande Region encompasses all of the state of New Mexico, as well as Durango, CO and El Paso, TX.  We have seven Areas that open 181 meetings per week, six of which are in Spanish, or bilingual.  Our active H&I areas subcommittees take 117 meetings per month into facilities throughout the region.  Our region meets bimonthly, rotating between three cities.

 

Some of our areas are in sparsely populated parts of the region and while they maintain regular meetings, many areas provide limited services for PR, H&I, Communications and Phone lines.  Two of our areas are unable to maintain working phone lines.  Our region is currently exploring the possibility of creating a regional phone line, and based on information I brought back from Western Service Learning Days, we are looking at a hosted PBX system.

 

Between now and the conference Freddy and I will do three CAR workshops:  one in Albuquerque on February 20th, one in the southern part of the region, and one in the north, at our 21st annual Rio Grande Regional Convention, which is being held this year in Farmington, NM, March 19-21.  We would love to see you there.  You may register online at www.riograndena.org.

 

Our corporate body, the Rio Grande Regional Convention Corporation (RCC), currently has only one function:  responsibility for putting on one regional convention per year.  The convention moves to cities throughout the region where there is a Local Support Committee (LSC) in that city takes on the work of the convention.  We are finding that this is not working, as the responsibility and accountability lies with the RCC, yet the control seems to be with the LSC.  We are looking at restructuring the RCC to include a standing convention committee, and expanding their role to sign contracts for events around the region and to provide insurance for the areas.

 

Beginning in May, with a workshop on The Group in Santa Fe, Freddy and I will be doing one regional workshop per month around the region on various topics:  Literature review and input, Issue Discussion Topics, the service structure, or any other issue as requested by the areas in the region.  If any of you have workshop materials that you think may be of value to us, please let us know – we would love to benefit from what has worked for you.

 

San Diego Imperial Counties:

 

Sierra Sage:

 

Southern California:

Our region has approximately 1300 meetings and 151 Spanish speaking only meetings throughout its 20 areas.  Of those 1300 meetings, 4 are Armenian, 3 are Farsi, 1 is Hebrew and 3 are American Sign Language. It seems that over the past few years our Region has experienced a reduction in the number of meetings per week. While the Area donations to the Region increased this year, it appears that this was due to the Circle of Sisters being hosted in one of the areas, which increased their donation. Otherwise donations would have been down this year.

Regional Service Office (RSO):  Our RSO has improved its performance drastically over the past year. Yet our Board of Directors, which oversees the office, has experienced a lack of trusted servants to fill all of the positions available on the Board. Some of the services provided by the Board include: insurance for all of the meetings listed in our directory as well as all of the events on the Regional Calendar, the printing of Regional directories, distribution of literature, and they are the signer on all Regional contracts.

They are currently looking at an online store for the sales of literature.

Hospitals and Institutions (H&I):  All 20 areas including the Spanish Speaking area attend the monthly H&I subcommittee meeting. The region carries 50 panels that go into jails and prisons within our Region. The 20 areas, along with the Spanish Speaking Area carry approximately 730 panels. The subcommittee holds an annual Learning Day in the month of May with the help of Regional Activities.

Sponsorship Behind the Walls: This committee has been very active since it stared two years ago. They currently sponsor 64 inmates, 11 women and 53 men. The committee has 21 men sponsors and 9 women. They would like to gain some Spanish sponsors to help in their efforts.

Public Information (PI):  The subcommittee continues to reach out to the community. They hold quarterly learning days together with Phone lines, Website and PSAs to help train people on best practices. They also continue in their efforts to do presentations, booth sittings, and community literature distribution.

Regional Activities:  The regional activities committee puts on 3 major events per year. The NA Birthday, New Years Eve and the Regional Campout. They also help with the H&I Learning Day and the Regional Assembly Workshop as well as the new Young Peoples Unity Day. They help out the 20 areas with their events by providing a calendar so that the areas can have regional dates so that no area event conflicts with another areas regional event. They post all areas events whether they are a regional or area event on the regional web site as well as distribute fliers. We now have five Areas holding their own Conventions, and Greater Hollywood is in talks about starting their own.

Phone lines (PL):  Phone lines are currently running a 24 hours, 7 days 1-800 number with live addicts answering the phones. Five areas are helping accomplish this.  The Spanish speaking area is helping the Region man the Spanish speaking hotline.

Website :  The website committee is looking into updating our site. Apparently it was set up a long time ago in a format that is very labor intensive. So they are trying to decide which cms platform to use. They are also discussing the pros and cons of shared hosting vs. private server.

Regional Convention:  The Convention committee is getting ready for this years convention, which will be held over the Thanksgiving weekend at the Anaheim Hilton. They had a nice convention last year, and were able to make a nice donation to the Region.

Cruise Committee:  The Cruise Committee is setting sail this year to the Western Caribbean. Cabins are still available.

Youth Committee: This committee is still hosting its annual event. They have recently experienced some setbacks with their attendance at the other subcommittees. They are hoping to rectify this issue and keep to the purpose of their committee.

 

Washington Northern Idaho:

We have 20 Areas consisting of approximately 800 meetings spanning over 74,000 square miles that include Washington State, North Idaho, and a bit of North Eastern Oregon. 

 

We present 4 RD workshops at 2 of our Annual Conventions; this year we will be doing a CAR workshop and a Living Clean workshop at Clean & Free, and a post conference workshop and a small group discussion at our regional convention.  Julia has presented 3 Living Clean workshops, and we presented the CAR at our January RSC.  We will be presenting 3 additional CAR workshops around our region.

 

We continue to look at ways to implement our regional goals.  We are finding that we need to hone our goals down and be precise with them in order to implement them.

 

We have combined our RSC and Regional Subcommittees on the same weekend.  It has increased participation at RSC and the subcommittees and it is nice to see our fellowship get fired up for service. 

 

Our RD team continues to utilize a quarterly report to the region that summarizes NAWS News, NA Way Magazine, World Board reports, and Western States Zonal Forum.  The purpose is to increase communication throughout the levels of service reaching the individual group member.  It is a one page report and we bring enough copies to our region for RCMs to distribute to all groups.  We are finding that there is a breakdown of communication as many of our home groups around the region never see this RD report.

 

We have had about a third of our areas move forward with implementing the Public Relations handbook, and started a PR committee.  We continue to explore the possibility of having a regional PR committee, and are waiting to see the guidelines from the BC region.  If you have done this on a regional level, we would love to have a copy of your guideline to review.

 

Our Convention and Events Committee continues to revamp their guideline.  Our fellowship has been overwhelmed with fundraising and we are looking at alternatives.  We do have online registration for our events and ithas worked well over the past several years.  We are discussing ways to implement electronic media to aid with distributing information about our conventions.   

 

RD Team:

Dan Friesen, RD  dfriesen8@msn.com

Julia Reed-Voldal, RDA   jrservicejunkie@yahoo.com

 

       Dinner Break: 7:00 pm - 8:15 pm

 

       NAWS: Train The Trainer 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm

  Brief overview of what we will be going over for the CAR Train The Trainer

  Materials: Conference Agenda Report (CAR), Conference Approval Tract (CAT), CAR Session Profile Materials - CAR Session Outline, CAT Session Outline (www.na.org/conference)

  You may adjust the outline to fit your particular Regions needs

  Main Topics:

s  Introductions / Updates / Resource Discussion

s  Service System Discussion / Vision Statement

s  Resources & Production

s  Production Related Motions

s  Literature Approval & Literature Process

s  Literature Development Discussion & Motions

s  Literature Project Discussion & Motions

s  Process Motions

 

       NAWS: NAWS Update

  WSC: This cycles theme is Our Vision Our Future. CAR / CAT are both available online @ www.na.org/conference.

  Regional Reports: Due Monday, February 15th. Report template is available online @ www.na.org/conference. This is the best way to update information about Regions as well as what is going on around the world.

  NA Way Magazine: There are some creative ideas forming around making the NA Way more fun and interactive (NA Way Blog). There are some changes regarding the NA Way in the 2010 CAR. It seems as though more and more members are e-subscribing, however we need to continue to encourage members to subscribe online rather than receive a paper copy.

  Communication with Delegates: There was an experiment this past cycle of having WB members contact Delegates personally to touch base. It was a mixed bag of results. . . There will be more discussion at the WSC about this. NAWS is always looking at ways to improve communication.

  Fellowship Development: There has been major human resource cut backs when it comes to travel. Some cost cutting measures have been sending fewer travelers for Fellowship Development trips. The requests for Fellowship Development trips have not decreased, however NAWS has to prioritize and possibly do less due to financial reasons.

  Finances: NAWS, like everyone else in the world is having difficulties financially. We have to cut costs everywhere (Fellowship Development trips, Literature, etc.).

  WCNA: Registration, scaling things down, reduce expenses, planning for our venue, as well as looking at ways to have a great convention while being realistic of costs and attendance.

  HRP: Is currently underway in their process. There was discussion at the last conference about the concern of not personally knowing the candidate. The result from that concern was to add a question regarding the RBZ nomination (Why you recommended them for nomination).

  Website: Living Clean discussion Board is going well (www.naws.org/lc). Conference Participant Discussion Board (www.naws.org/wsc-forum) has not been utilized as well as hoped. There are several other Service Discussion Boards available online. If you have any locally developed Resources / Materials, please send it in to be put on our Locally Developed - Resources page.

  New Items: There were several items that were made specifically for WCNA; however there were a number of those items left over after the Convention (Acrylic table/desktop medallion holder, calendars, and postcards). Those limited items are available online. The New Gift Edition Just For Today is also available.

 

       Parking Lot Topics:

  Time of year to meet (WSZF)

  Recap of WSLD Meeting Experiment

  Hookah Discussion

  Structure Organization

  Incorporation / Insurance

  Regional Service Offices

  Zonal Report at WSC

  Zonal Meeting @ WSC

  Alaska Region to be a part of WSZF

  CAR / CAT

 

       Meeting Closed @ 9:45 pm

 

  Saturday January 30th Session: Meeting Opened @ 8:40 am

 

       What to expect from todays session: A walk through of the CAR Workshop (If time we will also go over the CAT, if not, we will do so on Sunday).

 

       2010 CAR Workshop: 8:40 am 3:20 pm

  Tips: When using PowerPoint, include pages numbers on the slides for corresponding information. Utilize the Facilitators Notes option to help keep track of key things to mention throughout the workshop.

 

       Introductions / Updates / Resource Discussion:

  Begin with Introductions and an overview of the workshop.

s  Give an overview of the days Agenda (you may have to tailor the Agenda to suite your Regions needs).

s  Cover which materials members will need for the session (CAR, CAT, any other handouts, materials, etc.).

 

       Service System Discussion & Vision Statement Approval:

  History & Background on the Service System / Service System Project:

s  Where we came from – A vision of a global fellowship: Give a brief history of NAWSs service system as well as local service systems. Tip: Give an example of your local service systems changes and progression. Tip: You can create a timeline visual to match the history of the service system (There is a generic timeline of NA milestones online at na.org under Services To Members - Miscellaneous Items - NA 50).

s  Where we went - Select Committees, NA Service, TWGGS, The Group Booklet, 12 Concepts: Give examples of the newer service system (task based service, 12 Concepts, etc.).

s  Reshaping NAWS: Inventory, Resolution, Transition.

s  Give a background of why we are in need of a change in our service system (things that are not working).

ð  Ask for questions at this point.

  Motion 1:

s  Explain Motion 1. Talk about the difference between having a NAWS Vision Statement vs. a Vision for ALL of NA Service. Tip: You can create a handout to show a before and After of the Vision Statement.

ð  Ask for questions at this point.

ð  You can take a Straw Poll at this time on Motion 1.

  More Service System / WSC Seating:

s  Options for change – opportunities for growth: Its more about system not so much structure (Fish Bone Model Diagram).

s  WSC Seating – an uncomfortable perch: Service system alternatives including possible structural models and ideas for seating will be discussed further at the conference and, pending results of that discussion, throughout the upcoming cycle. More will be revealed.

s  Background on why we are looking at WSC seating.

s  Impacts and overlaps with the Service System Project.

ð  Ask for questions at this point.

 

       Resources & Production:

  NAWS Resources - Money doing more with less.

s  NAWS operated at a loss for two years.

s  Literature income is stable, however member donations are down. Year To Date (January 2010): Member Contributions 23% below projected.

s  Expenses continue to increase.

s  Four areas of focus:

    Travel / Fellowship Development Expenses: There can be some savings by decreasing and cutting back on travel and FD, however it can affect the ability to reach out to the fellowship as well as carrying our message.

    Literature Distribution: Shipping costs have been adjusted to better reflect actual costs as well as the pricing changes at WSO Europe. We have had to take a look at how we subsidize literature.

    Publications: Reconsidering mandated NA Way distribution to every group. There is a need to increase e-subs to NA Way.

    World Convention: WCNA 32 required us to consider requiring pre-registration for the event in the future. WCNA 33 took a loss, as expected, but was within the forecasted budget for the event.

s  Process for new projects: Guide To World Services in NA page 29.

 

  Break  10:15 am - 10:30 am

 

       Production Related Motions:

  Motions 5 & 6: Purple Key Tags (CAR Pages 36 & 37)

s  Intent, rationale, & WB recommendation

s  Discuss & Straw Poll

  Motion 7: Line Numbered Castilian Basic Text (CAR Page 38)

s  Intent, rationale, & WB recommendation

s  Discuss & Straw Poll

 

       Literature Approval & Literature Process:

  Self Support IPs: Self-Support (CAR, page 22)

s  Background – Project intended to increase the impact of current IPs that speak to funding resources in NA. Current IPs (#24 & #25) are the least distributed in our inventory.

s  Work this cycle

    6 member workgroup, including a member from Egypt (a first)

    R&I yielded only 69 pieces of input, but 400 and 600 downloads

s  Whats in the drafts

    Money Matters: Self-Support in NA: longer textual piece

    Funding NA Service: Short; 4 main graphics; included 50-25-25 approach; Conference approved so that graphics can be updated, and local language communities can make changes, as needed.

  Motions 2 & 3: Approval of new Self Support IPs (CAR Page 24)

s  Discuss & Straw Poll

  In Times Of Illness: Car Page 24

s  Background – lots of input from members saying that the booklet no longer reflected our members challenges and experiences in many ways. 

s  Work this cycle

    8 member workgroup

    R&I yielded 93 pieces of input, but over 1000 downloads

s  Whats in the draft – Nothing removed, things shifted ; new sections: mental health, chronic illness & pain, terminal illness; Quotes from BT & IWHW

  Motion 4: Approval of ITOL revision

s  Discuss & Straw Poll

  Living Clean: CAR page 26.

s  Background

    Four-year project

    On the old Lit committees work list since the 1980s

    Taken up in response to fellowship input that we need a book on ongoing recovery

s  Work this cycle

    10 member Workgroup

    One R&I period (outline, Chapters 1 and 2) yielded 103 pieces of input, over 1000 distributed

s  Update/innovations/whats next

    Working hard to get source material; that is most valuable, even more than R&I input

    Discussion board URL

s  April 2010 R&I – three more chapters

s  One more R&I period after that—probably Fall 2010

s  Approval draft release by April 2011

s  When they report the amount of input received, they go by the number of sources that sent in input vs. the actual number of pieces sent in. Reporting the number of members who provided input vs. the actual pieces of input.

  Lunch Break: 12:05 pm - 1:15 pm

       Literature Development:

  Discussion topic - Literature Development (CAR Page28)

s  Many attempts to make improvements, some with negative effects

s  Members seem to want more participation & more timely communication 

s  Challenges with input: conflicting remarks; few offered

s  Balancing being inclusive with fiscal responsibility

s  Each book had a different approach - Graph of lit projects (CAR, page 30)

s  No means to make housekeeping changes in FA resources, examples: Loner IP & Additional Needs IP

s  We look forward to WSC discussions

  Motion 12 – Limiting the number of concurrent R&I periods (CAR, page 43-45)

s  Intent, rationale and WB recommendation

s  Discuss & straw poll

  Motions 13 – Min 6 mo/1 year (IPs/books) R&I periods (CAR, page 45-46)

s  Intent, rationale and WB recommendation (same as Motion 12)

s  Discuss & straw poll

  Motions 14 – 6 mo R&I on FA, CA and WBA material (CAR, page 46-48)

s  Intent, rationale and WB recommendation

s  Discuss & straw poll

       Literature Project Discussion & Motions:

  Discussion Points:

s  We do not have a viable replacement for the old WSCLC priority lists. Weve tried to replace them with info we get from input, workshops, and a couple of lit surveys. Clearly, some members do not feel that is an effective avenue and choose to forward motions.

s  This is all part of the lit process discussion that has to happen at the conference. We look forward to that discussion. Send your ideas!

  Motion 8  – Project plan for Traditions Working Guide (CAR, page 39)

s  Intent, rationale and WB recommendation

s  Discuss & straw poll

  Motion 9  – Project plan for JFT revisions (CAR, page 39-40)

s  Intent, rationale and WB recommendation

s  Discuss & straw poll

  Break: 2:45 pm - 3:05 pm

       Process Motions:

  Motion 11 – Post workgroup minutes (CAR, page 42-43)

s  Intent, rationale and WB recommendation

s  Discuss & straw poll

  Motion 10 – Post CAT motions (CAR, page 40-41)

s  Intent, rationale and WB recommendation

s  We intend to try this and see if it has value

s  Discuss & straw poll

 

  Topics To Discuss: 3:30 pm - 5:05 pm

  Zonal Report @ WSC 2010

s  Karina (Nor Cal Region) will be the Single Point of Accountability (SPOA) for the Zonal Forum Power Point. The deadline for Regions to submit pictures in April 1st. Karina will send out the final draft to the WSZF Google Group in April for a final look over from the Forum. Each Region will get two slides (approximately 6 - 8 pictures).

s  Shelly (Region 51) will comprise the formal written report for the WSZF to the WSC 2010.

  Zonal Meeting @ WSC 2010

s  Shelly (Region 51) will be the SPOA for the Facilitator, Agenda, & Location.

s  BJs Restaurant will be the meeting location for the WSC meeting.

  Time of year to meet

s  We will meet annually in January. The next meeting will be at the WSC 2010. The following meeting will be January 2011 (location TBD at the WSC meeting).

  Recap of WSLD Meeting Experiment

s  Central CA Region: There was added value to the WSZF in attending WSLD. As long as WSZF can meet and have meaningful content (training, NAWS, etc.) then it would be justified in meeting separately.

s  Rio Grande Region: Feels that the WSZF should not meet at the WSLD. The WSZF should meet annually in January. There is value in having meaningful workshops and training at the WSZF, which can be done separate from WSLD.

s  Washington Northern Idaho Region: The problem is not whether to meet at WSLD; the issue is the value of the WSZF itself. Felt that it was a good use of our Regions funds to attend WSLD. It was great information to bring back to our Region. There was added value in attending all of the workshops aside from the WSZF meeting. Either way, our Region will go with whatever the group decides on.

s  CA Inland Region: Was not in attendance at WSLD. They would like it to be only during non conference years.

s  Sierra Sage Region: Our Region cannot afford to send the Delegates to two WSZF meetings within a cycle. January would be the best time of year to meet. We did not hear anything new or different at WSLD.

s  Arizona Region: The WSZF should meet in a time of year (on conference years) that would best benefit the Forum in regards to IDTs and training opportunities. Feels that the WSZF should not meet at WSLD.

s  Northern CA: It may not be the best venue for Delegates to attend, due to unseen effects. WSLD is targeted for H&I and PR members and not Delegates and the WSZF may be taking away from WSLD and the H&I and PR members (funding). We should continue utilizing the WSZF meetings as training and education setting and that we should focus on improving the WSZF meetings.

s  San Diego Imperial Counties: Did not attend the WSLD meeting. Feels that we should not meet at WSLD, we should be able to structure the WSZF to a more interactive and training environment.

s  CA Mid-State: It was a value to WSLD having the Delegates meeting. Due to the schedule, it is not practical to have the WSZF meeting at the same time as the WSLD meeting.

s  Alaska Region: Has not attended a WSLD. It sounds that it might be a good idea to attend a, however it would be more beneficial in attending the WSZF.

s  Southern CA: Due to the WSC moving more toward a discussion based conference; it is a major value attending the WSZF. It is beneficial continuing to have discussions on Regional issues. Feels that there would not be a value in having WSZF at WSLD.

  Alaska Region Funding

s  Due to financial hardships, it may be difficult to have both Delegates attend the WSZF as well at the WSC. There are concerns around being able to fund Delegates to both the WSZF and the WSC; they may not be able to do both. Alaska is requesting that the WSZF fund one Delegate (AD) to the WSZF 2011, which will in turn allow the AD to attend the WSC 2010.

s  Since the WSZF is not a service body that has any formal treasury.  Some options are: Regions may fund the Alaska Region at their own discretion, restructure the WSZF to accommodate, or Delegates may donate their own money.

  Hookah Discussion

  Structure Organization

  Incorporation / Insurance

  Region Service Offices

s  Shelly will discuss through the WSZF Google Group

 

  Meeting Closed @ 5:10 pm

 

  Sunday January 31st Session: Meeting Opened @ 8:45 am

 

       2010 CAT Workshop: 8:50 am - 12:00 pm

 

       Introduction:

  Begin with around the room introductions.

  Review logistics (breaks, restrooms, smoking areas, etc.).

  Overview the Agenda and time available for the workshop.

  Explain any acronyms used (CAR, CAT, WSC, etc.).

  History and background of the CAT:

s  The CAT was adopted at the WSC 2000, following years of input from members and groups about the type of material contained in the CAR and the direct relevance of some of it to the NA groups.

s  Recovery material, and anything that speaks to the foundational principals of our program, remain in the CAR.

  The basics of the CAT

s  The CAT contains materials that are Conference Approval rather than Fellowship Approved. These materials are intended primarily for use by service boards or committees.

s  They are distributed 90 days before the WSC so that Delegates will have time to discuss them with their communities in the way that best suits them.

s  They are voted on in New Business at the WSC.

 

       Content of the 2010 CAT:

  The CAT contains material being offered for approval at the 2010 WSC, along with the 2010 - 2012 NAWS Strategic Plan, which is not voted on at the conference.

   Preview the main items in this years CAT:

s  WSC Seating

s  The Strategic Plan and accompanying Project Plans

s  2010 - 2012 Budget

s  Changes to A Guide to World Services (GWSNA)

  Explain how we are offering the accompanying motions to each of the CAT items where possible.

  This is an experiment being tired in response to input from the conference participants.

  Where available the motions are being offered at the end of this document.

  In the motions that call for changes to GWSNA, struck through text denotes deleted language and underlined text denotes added language.

 

       WSC Seating:

  Three regions applied for seating: Demark, Lithuania, and Malta. The recommendation is to seat two of them: Demark and Lithuania.

  The Board is proposing a change to the seating moratorium passed at WSC 2008.

  The moratorium would be extended to include all new regions not just those resulting from regional splits so that no new regions would be seated at WSC 2012.

 

       Strategic Plan and Project Plans:

  Although the strategic plan is not voted on at the WSC, the project plans derived from it are approved through new business motions at the WSC.

  There are six plans offered for approval at WSC 2010:

s  Fellowship Issue Discussions: This project focuses on framing fellowship wide discussions on the 2010–2012 Issue Discussion Topics (IDTs), as well as the following items pending decision at WSC 2010: A Vision for NA Service, Money Matters: Self-support in NA, Funding NA Services, and the revised In Times of Illness.

s  Service System: This is the second cycle of this two-cycle project to create possible options for the service system. At WSC 2010, participants will begin to discuss ideas for alternatives to our current system, with fellowship wide discussions held throughout the 2010–2012 cycle and decisions made at WSC 2012. The focus of the project will be to develop options for the service system - the people, resources, processes, and structure – to best serve our worldwide fellowship in more effectively carrying the message.

s  Living Clean – The Journey Continues: This project is to create a book that reflects NA experience about ongoing recovery. This is the second cycle of this two-cycle project to create this book. It calls for an approval draft to be released by late April 2011 and a decision at WSC 2012. By WSC 2010, the second set of chapters will have been distributed for fellowship review and input.

s  Public Relations: This project is to enable us to conduct focus groups with specific professional populations in order to develop more effective strategies and improve our communication. This project was approved at WSC 2008, but we were unable to do any of this work due to human and financial constraints.

s  Leadership Orientation Material: This is a continuation of the discussions and focus that we have had for several cycles. For the upcoming cycle we plan to focus on how to be an effective RD, as well as orientation, training, and best practices for trusted servants.

s  Service Material: This project plan is offered to allow us to begin development of pieces of tools and resources for NA services if the human and financial resources allow. We currently do not have a handbook or tools for conventions, activities, or events even though thousands of events are held in NA each year. We believe we can collect best practices and create chapters or smaller, more focused pieces rather than an entire handbook. We also plan to develop simplified tools for PR Basics and planning at a local level.

  Break: 10:00 am - 10:25 am

       2010 - 2012 Budget:

  The 2010 – 2012 Budget represents our projected spending for the upcoming cycle, meaning that this is what we expect to spend over the upcoming conference cycle.

  Income estimates are derived from the previous years figures.

  We attempt to set conservative but realistic figures in order to remain prudent.

  The 2010 - 2012 Budget divides expenses into three classifications:

s  Fixed Operational Funds:

  Funds allocated toward World Service activities that are recurring in nature and have little to no functional change from budget year to budget year.

  These are typically called essential services.

s  Variable Operational Funds:

  Funds allocated toward non-routine World Service projects and/or activities that vary from budget year to budget year. This includes items approved by the WSC such as Project Plans.

s  Reserve Funds:

  Funds that are set aside to meet current and/or future financial needs.

  The realities of the economy have meant we have had to look at several areas of our operations in the last cycle in order to remain close to our budgeted figures.

  The main areas for review included:

s  The WCNA (World Convention)

s  Travel

s  NAWS Publications

s  Branch Operations

s  Shipping

 

Sunday at approximately 11:00, we began a lengthy discussion about the future of WSZF.  We came to the consensus that we would no longer meet at WSLD as most of us felt it was not an appropriate venue for our forum.  We all agree that there is value in meeting as a forum, and it was expressed by several members that there is a great benefit, especially for the first time WSC attendees!

Once the decision was made that we all wished to continue meeting, we began a discussion of when we should meet.  It was decided that January would be most beneficial to facilitate workshopping the Conference Agenda Report as well as travel expenses are generally less during the winter months.  We will continue to meet yearly with the agenda being primarily the CAR in conference years and IDTs and train the trainers in off-conference years.  The consensus was reached that the last weekend in January was the best time to hold the meeting.

 

  Meeting Closed @ 12:00 pm